Coolant problems

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2002, 11:58 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Houston, we have a problem...

I'm putting about a gallon of coolant into my car every day. Something tells me this isn't normal!

I replaced the top and bottom hoses after I noticed the bottom was leaking and they were both perished. Bit of a sod getting the bottom one off but no problem. I thought.

Seems I was mistaken, though. I can't actually see a leak anywhere, but by the end of a reasonable drive (say 10-15 miles) if I check the level then it's very low. Within an hour the heater will have stopped working so I know I'm in trouble. Then I can get around a gallon in through the header tank.

Suggestions as to what the hell might be going on would be much appreciated. As far as I know I don't have a blown head gasket (no emulsion in the filler or dipstick tube) and the hoses aren't leaking...

SB
Old 24 November 2002, 09:27 AM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

If the hoses aren't leaking and there is no evidence of water in the oil maybe the little heater radiator is leaking. Check your footwells! I'd say though that you're most likely culprit is the hose connections 1 gallon per 10 miles is one hell of a leak. The wife's 405 sprung a leak in one of the hoses a month ago on our way back from the bruv's wedding. It was a spectacular leak with water everywhere. Surprisingly though it only required topping up about every 30 miles with about 1 litre of water. So your's must be one hell of a leak. Best of luck finding it.

Pat
Old 24 November 2002, 09:50 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

still think it's headgaskets you won't see any oil mixed with water for some reason scoobs don't do that. try filling it up with water again givin it a run up the road then let it idle , if the temperature gauge rises it's defo headgaskets
Old 24 November 2002, 09:55 AM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

That's a lot of water,as mentioned already check the radiator and every hose and connection that water runs through.If these are all okay and and there is no obvious leaks from the engine(core plugs,gaskets) and the oil is okay then check your exhaust emissions.On start up we all get white smoke and some condensation burning off but if your still getting a lot of steam and condensation after a long drive,this could be where the waters going.A compression test would verify this or not,you can also get the coolant system pressure tested.
Old 24 November 2002, 11:46 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

The head gasket test Scoobyboy mentioned was OK. Which is a relief

No water in the footwells. Did think of that but worth checking again...

It's been pretty wet for the last few dys so I'm inclined to agree that there is a hose leak somewhere that I haven't seen because of the amount of water and general crap that gets everywhere after even a short journey.

I'll get it on a ramp tomorrow and hopefully we'll find the problem then. But keep the suggestions coming anyway

SB
Old 24 November 2002, 09:34 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Give is a good dose of fairy washing up liquid, let it run & look for bubbles, is there any steam come out from anywhere ? or is it still cold after the 10 miles ?

1 gallon aday seeping in to the oil, nar not likly, chekc the oil levle to put your mine at rest, then look for mayonase [sp].

you have changed the top & bottom hoses, what about the little hose at the very top of the rad on the drivers side, mine split from the rad, was letting coolant escape at a good rate until I fixed it.

try parking in some where dry [ha ha good idea] try the safeways carpark in the high street & then look to see where it dripping from.

talk soon about the ECU & possible the wheels.

cheers
Old 25 November 2002, 05:52 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Sorted.

The rad had a wee split in it which was fine until it got hot and the 'stat opened. Then all the water fell out...

SB