Notices

Dawes Afr-Working or not? 93WrX

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2002, 09:26 AM
deanoM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A mate fitted my Dawes AFR for me, which seems to light up all the time, from the left to right. When running low boost it runs from left to right and stops at the blue light, meaning it's running rich.
When I increase the boost the blue light still always comes on and tells me I'm running rich, it seems to think my car is always running rich no mattter what the boost (93Wrx 1.2 bar Max 0.9 Low).
At lower revs the other lights do flash up also, have I fitted it incorrectly? Or is this std practice for a AFR like this?
So far it has scared people at night as it's soo bright and people who I'm behind think I'm a copper
Any sugguestions?

D

Old 11 October 2002, 10:37 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I'd say that even at 1.1 bar you'd probably be rich at WOT. There's a few people running that sort of boost on a standard fuel map and theys eem to be ok.

Best way to check is to get a select monitor on it..... or ask the experts on here (cause im definately not one of them!).

Tony.
Old 11 October 2002, 10:45 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Wink

this is quite usual with the dawes AFR
Old 11 October 2002, 11:07 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Sorry to be a bit on the uneducated side, but ive read alot about this 'dawes unit' .....

What does it do?
Any local suppliers? (Cheshire area)
Cost?

and another one, the term WOT, what does it refer to.

I know im not helping, but im just trying to pick up on stuff..

Cheers

ps, im suffering from apparent missfiring/ hesitation on full accelaration and full boost - around .6bar - .8 MY93wrx

Old 11 October 2002, 11:36 AM
deanoM
Scooby Regular

I have a 93Wrx, I had mild hesitatiuon on acceleration , and boost overcut near 0.9 to a bar, after a lot of searching, the Dawes fuel cut lifter fools the Ecu into thinking it's running lower boost than what it is, as before at 0.9 booting it , it used to cut, now at 1.2 bar, it does not cut.
Before my re-map at PowerEnginnering the car used to run like a bag of crap, I only ever use Optimax also.
I'm selling my Dawes AFR as my car is running rich, but wether or not it's pinking, I don't know, so I'm after a knock link next.
If you unsure of what I'm on about (i'm not an expert only a novice) speak to jamie at JW Racing or to Merv at PowerEngineering, my mate with a Wrx 93 run 317bhp the other day, well done Rob if your reading this!
Old 11 October 2002, 11:43 AM
deanoM
Scooby Regular

I have a 93Wrx, I had mild hesitatiuon on acceleration , and boost overcut near 0.9 to a bar, after a lot of searching, the Dawes fuel cut lifter fools the Ecu into thinking it's running lower boost than what it is, as before at 0.9 booting it , it used to cut, now at 1.2 bar, it does not cut.
Before my re-map at PowerEnginnering the car used to run like a bag of crap, I only ever use Optimax also.
I'm selling my Dawes AFR as my car is running rich, but wether or not it's pinking, I don't know, so I'm after a knock link next.
If you unsure of what I'm on about (i'm not an expert only a novice) speak to jamie at JW Racing or to Merv at PowerEngineering, my mate with a Wrx 93 run 317bhp the other day, well done Rob if your reading this!
Old 11 October 2002, 12:12 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Deano,
Sorry to hijack your thread.

redwrx,
Dawes AFR is an Air/Fuel Ratio meter. It takes readings from the Lambda probe in the downpipe of the exhaust to tell you how rich/lean the engine is running.
See: http://www.performanceexhausts.net/gauge.html 2/3 down the page.

Dawes also do a Mechanical Boost Controller (refered to as a Dawes device or MBC).
See: http://www.performanceexhausts.net/bcs.html

WOT is Wide Open Throttle.

Hope that helps
Iain.

Trending Topics

Old 11 October 2002, 12:18 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for the help
Old 11 October 2002, 06:46 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dean mate
Let me know bout that sensor for the knocklink.. will sort you out..
Rob