Door Handles Help

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2002, 02:55 PM
monkeyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Right then guys.....

I decided that now is the time to go blue!

I am getting my door handles colour coded I am planning to take them off myselt cos its cheeper than paying the spray shop to do it. Has anyone done this or know how easy it is!?!?!?

Old 09 October 2002, 03:03 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

done this to mine, quite simple to take off, but putting them on is more harder!
Old 09 October 2002, 03:08 PM
monkeyboy
Scooby Regular

Know where i can get any instructions????
Old 09 October 2002, 03:58 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

nope, just simple, use common sense, take the door card off first, take off the plastic sheeting and then start taking them off, mind you my bolts were so rusty they snapped! but then again i was replacing te door handle not getting them painted.
Old 09 October 2002, 05:11 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I put up some instructions in "styling" a month or so ago. Common sense helps...

Cut and pasted for you...

Door handles come out of the classic car quite easily (without playing with the locks) - 2 bolts in each handle.

You have to take the door cards off first (that includes carefully unplugging the electric windows etc.)

Then peel back carefully the plastic bag thing. I found that gently slicing the black gunge with a stanly knife blade quite effective. (The aim is not to stretch the plastic.)

This will leave you with access to the bolts. Use a 10mm socket and long extension to undo them. You have to use some of the holes in the door so things line up.

Reach in through the big hole in the door, and pinch the black outer bits on the top and bottom of the door handle. It should then be loose. Note the positions of the push rods in the door!!!

This bit is fiddly. Practice makes perfect
Slowly and gently wriggle the door handle out of the hole. It helps to pull the dorr handle up at this point as it makes the handle seem smaller and easier to get out. Once you can see the top of the push rod, there is a plastic clip holding it in the door handle. This can be rotated and the rod removed.

I took my handles apart for painting. This is optional and tricky. You must squeeze up the splayed end of the hinge pin, and pull this out of the handle after disconnecting the spring (so there is no load on it.)

You should then have two bits of plastic to paint. (the back protector bit won't paint so don't try to do it, as it will crack on reassembly.

Assembly is the reverse of fitting.

This does not disturb the locking mechanism in any way. I've just done it. (The locks remain in the doors)

Good luck