Notices

Flat Spot - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2002, 01:57 PM
scrappy_doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well sounds as if it could be your ECU or boost solenoid then.
A dawes device can be found at www.dawesdevices.com
All info is there however there are always group buys of these devices in the forum so do a search.
Well the dawes device is a turbo pressure regulator, you need to have a boost gauge fitted before you fit a dawes so you can monitor the boost and not melt your pistons !
But basically by taking control away from the ECU.....if your ECU is faulty then it will make no difference as the dawes handles the boost now !
If its your boost solenoid is faulty then you don't use it at all with the dawes so again problem solved.

email:-
jbouadana@hotmail.com

[Edited by scrappy_doo - 10/4/2002 2:02:26 PM]
Old 04 October 2002, 08:35 AM
MissSilverScooby
Scooby Newbie

Question

My standard 2000V Scooby Turbo has been lacking in power/acceleration and appears to have a slight flat spot in 3rd/4th/5th gear - especially if you hold off the power for a second or two. The garage took a look at it and diagnosed it as being a faulty lamda sensor - which they changed. Since then the car is running lean - smells hot after a reasonable run - the petrol consumption is down by about 5 mpg, and it just feels a bit tired and gutless. It only has 20000 miles on the clock and yet feels as if I'm driving a car with 100k miles on! The garage has been trying to palm me off with the fact that it's suffering from turbo-lag and suggesting I dont know how to drive it properly - but although I dont have very much technical knowledge - I do think there is still something wrong! - Does anyone know if this is a common problem or have any ideas about what it might be so I can tell the garage when it goes back in next week? Thanks!
Old 04 October 2002, 12:17 PM
scrappy_doo
Scooby Regular

Could be a few things, what fuel are you running ?
The boost solenoid tends to mess up somtimes causing underboosting, the intercooler or plastic intercooler pipe.
Lots to list.
To narrow it down I would get a dawes device fitted this will take away control of the turbo from the ECU so you can adjut it to a set PSI you also then disconnect the boost solenoid. So then if its still not boosting it must be the intercooler or your fuel.
Old 04 October 2002, 12:37 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Go & find your local friendly DeltaDash owner... should find the problem in no time!
Old 04 October 2002, 01:45 PM
MissSilverScooby
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Ref fuel:I'm running mainly Premium (95 RON) from Shell with the occasional Super unleaded tank full (without much improvement and poorer MPG).

I and my other half tend to suspect the boost solenoid, or that area of the system, but the actual boost never completely fails, just struggles to respond and hesitates with low boost. I

A what? 'Dawes device' is it a diagnostic tool or an engine upgrade? Could you advise on what it is, expense and where from etc a web address.....

I assume, with this mechanical control & 'preset' boost level set you would simply drive and see how the car would respond? If it improved - more responsive and a definite boost action, you would suspect the boost solenoid or ECU control ? And then do what?

Nice support - Many thanks