Notices

MY00 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2002, 04:29 PM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I have an MY00 UK turbo with a Prodrive back box on at the moment (round tail pipe), but that's it. Is it worth waiting a year for the warranty to run out and then explore these other cheaper methods of gaining power, or is the PPP something that can be complimented with other mods at a later date and worth getting in the mean time? Also, could someone tell me if the PPP back box used is the same as the one I've had put on already, or is that going to have been a waste of money now?
Old 23 September 2002, 04:35 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, one thing to start with - the PPP is a bit of a dead-end, or at least the bits that you get that can be carried over are the cheapest parts to replace anyway!
Old 23 September 2002, 06:02 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

The PPP is probably not the most powerful way to go but it does retain your warranty and it INCREASES the resale value of your car, no other performance product will do this!
If you want to come out in a PPP'd MY00 give me a shout im free most days at the moment

Tony
Old 23 September 2002, 06:08 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure I'd agree with that....fully. Yes PPP increases value, always. But some other 'careful' mods will increase the value for certain people, it just reduces how sellable your car is. For example, if someone is looking for a full decat and TEK3 they will understand the costs involved in this and will pay a higher price than standard accordingly! Of course, they won't cover the full costs of getting decat and TEK3 but hopefully you see my point.
Old 23 September 2002, 08:15 PM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I think perhaps I need to investigate the non-warrenty/re-sale friendly option a little further before I make a decision. Having spent thousands on a 205 (never to be seen again), I think I'm a little more reserved at the moment when it comes to 'non-official' type modifications. I've been reading as much as I can about this and that. All a little overwhelming what with the various ECU's, exhaust combinations, to vent to atmosphere or not to vent to atmosphere, that's another question. Dawes'? Up-rated front mounted intercoolers? Need more input!! Struth.

P.S. thanks for the offer Tony

[Edited by Ex_Pug - 9/23/2002 8:18:31 PM]
Old 24 September 2002, 09:27 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've just sold my MY00. Had it for 2 years from new and loved it
I was quite wary of what mods to do but ended up doing quite a bit to it....

Exhaust:
The backbox you have is a PPP one (round pipe). For "cheap" improvements get a catless downpipe. There are loads of different ones out there and whoever you ask will tell you that their design is better etc etc I had a Scoobysport one (seond hand through here). Worked well and caused no problems.
You can also totally decat the exhaust system by getting a catless centre pipe. Not entirely convinced about the benefits of this on a standard ECU though.

Filter:
Get an ITG filter. Better filtration and airflow. Not going to add Bhp though

ECU:
AE801 - If you just want a slight improvement over standard get an AE800 or 801. These were the standard ECUs fitted to the 99 cars. Probably the best bang for buck you can get believe it or not The graphs below show the my car with the 802 (black) and with the 801 (red). Everything else on the car was the same...

PPP - I bought my PPP bits second hand through this board and, frankly, I'd recommend it. Yes, you can get a Tek2 which is supposedly slightly better than a PPP but a secondhand PPP ECU can be had for cheaper. Uprated intercooler pipework needed for the higher boost can be had for about £60 from Samco. Doddle to fit.

Dump Valve:
Get a recirc one if you need to change the OEM one. I only got one because I found it on sale at a show at nearly half price and it was too shiny to resist. Possible slight improvement but probably just wishful thinking Vent to atmos do work although there are issues with it confusing the airflow sensors, ECU etc etc. Not worth the hassle, I wouldn't have thought, just to go "whoosh" and impress the kids outside the sweet shop Don't know though.

Brakes:
Do this before the engine mods. I had godspeed discs and mintex pads. Big improvement.

Handling:
Biggest grin factor can be had from sorting out the handling. Bumpsteer mod, Eibach springs, anti lift kit etc etc will all put more fun into your driving than sheer outright ability to leave Novas standing at the lights (unless that's what you're into ). Talk to Powerstation in Cheltenham.

I did a fair bit to my car in the end. Do a bit and you end up wanting more

.....the P1's nice though........
Old 24 September 2002, 08:18 PM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thankyou very much indeed for that, a tremendous help.