Notices

Apexi power FC

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2002, 08:09 PM
Shorla
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of getting one of these, anyone got one and have an opinion on them. Hear it dosen't have ALS compared to like a gems chip etc, is this an important feature to loose. Cheers.
Old 22 August 2002, 09:06 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Old 22 August 2002, 11:19 PM
Shorla
Scooby Regular

well then, any commetns claudius????
Old 23 August 2002, 02:25 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I pulled my tongue at ya because you already asked the question and I already told you stuff.

You can adjust fuel and timing as required, and either use your existing boost controller or the boost control module in the FC (optional, costs more ). In other words, this ECU can make your car just the same as another ECU, except that you get an FC Commander that will show you knock level (imp for safety, ie. engine not going bang), oil temp and maybe even your sex appeal%, LOL).

ALS has the advantage of keeping the turbo on boost when you lift off and brake and wll push you hard out of hairpins. You will only need it if you use your car for rally. It kills the turbo, too. Forget about ALS.

Goodnight (to you, I'm not going to bed yet)

Claudius
Old 23 August 2002, 08:51 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

What model year/type is your motor ?
You're better spending the money on a Dawes and Tek remap.
Speak to John Banks about what options are available.
I have it on mine and it's superb
Old 23 August 2002, 09:11 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Shorla has an earlier STi though.
Old 23 August 2002, 12:13 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

What model year/type is your motor ?
You're better spending the money on a Dawes and Tek remap.
That wont be as good since you cant control the boost as accurately. Furthermore, when you subsequently upgrade turbos, you need a remap. In fact, you need a remap everytime u add something, ie BOV, hoses, etc. etc. You'll end up spending the same amount of money and will not have a programmable ECU with safety features, but only some remap.
Old 23 August 2002, 01:21 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Red face

So are you saying that getting something like the Apexi or Blitz Fuel and Boost controllers are more beneficial over the long run than a remap of the original ECU ?
I'll be planning to upgrade further (full decat system, Dawes, Tek3 map, filter......planning on upgrading turbo, intercooler etc)

Old 23 August 2002, 01:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Theo does it look like I am charging people for revisions to maps? If you can map yourself and the commercial option is to pay big time for every little change then a user reprogrammable ECU (not piggyback controllers they are more limited I know I built my fair share of them) is for you as our wonderful Claudius tells us Otherwise, the deal at present (unless I get suddenly swamped) is I am happy to see customers again within reason for further work which falls within my abilities. If you went for fuel pump, FMIC and a big turbo I still probably wouldn't charge you. If you fitted a stroker kit, or needed major changes to sensors because you were maxxing them all out I would have to tell you to go and see Bob! And he would probably work some MoTeC magic for you.

The Dawes boost control on my car deviates from target considerably less than many EBCs and ECUs. Which is why I use it. With the JECS and a 3 port it seems that you can get similar control but no better.

[Edited by john banks - 8/23/2002 1:56:08 PM]
Old 23 August 2002, 02:35 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
DR,

I didn't think that they Power FC was just a boost or fuel controller.
Old 23 August 2002, 03:26 PM
Shorla
Scooby Regular

I have an STI V2. So a tek is a def no no then? Claudius you never told me that much last time :]-you said you have to pay more to do the boost controll option i didnt think you had the choice, thought they all included it? Rc Developments are doing th chip for £750 anyone know any where cheaper?
Old 24 August 2002, 01:26 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

So are you saying that getting something like the Apexi or Blitz Fuel and Boost controllers are more beneficial over the long run than a remap of the original ECU ?
No. The Power FC is a complete ECU that replaces your standard ECU. It is completely adjustable and will therefore let you fine tune your car as you add mods.
Old 24 August 2002, 01:29 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

a user reprogrammable ECU (not piggyback controllers they are more limited I know I built my fair share of them) is for you as our wonderful Claudius tells us
Thanks for the compliment, John.
Old 24 August 2002, 01:43 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Claudius you never told me that much last time :]
True. I answered your questions, though. And I even said that I would be happy to answer further questions if I can. Go dig out the thread and you will see

I have an STI V2. So a tek is a def no no then?
It's not a no no, it's just a little less precise and fast (unless it's a 32 bit processor with a 20x20 grid map as well) and you will have to go see the person who mapped it every time you make changes to your
air intake system (filter, air feed, air box, water injection, etc)
exhaust system (uppipe, downpipe, BOV, etc)
fuel system (pump, pressure regulator, injectors, etc)
engine (pistons, rods, crankshaft, camshafts, etc etc.)

you said you have to pay more to do the boost controll option i didnt think you had the choice
The APEX'i Power FC (I am the only person here who can actually spell that ) is sold in 3 parts:
the ECU itself
the FC Commander (hanheld controller with LCD that will let you adjust your fuel and ignition maps, give knock warning, display injector duty cycle and other engine parameters)
a separate boost control "kit"

You will need the ECU (Power FC) and the FC Commander, but have a choice as far as the boost control is concerned: you can either use this optional boost control kit or an APEX'i AVC-R (electronic boost controller, best on the market today, lets you adjust boost according to rpms and gear)

Rc Developments are doing th chip for £750 anyone know any where cheaper?
What do you call "chip"? The Power FC is a little more, I think. If that price is for a completely mapped Power FC with FC Commander, go ahead (but I doubt it is).
Old 24 August 2002, 02:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Tek is a no-no since it is only 1999/2000 cars. The earlier ECUs need a new chip. Claudius, the 99/00 JECS is 32 bit 20MHz but "only" 16x16 but scalable to 50 RPM and small load points with interpolation.