Notices

Group N

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2002, 11:26 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know that Group N is basically a "showroom" class, is it however specific to each form of motorsport or is it a generic class with generic mods allowed? ie is Group N for track the same as Group N for rally.

I've checked my blue book for group N regs, but can't find any (or I'm looking in the wrong place). Any ideas where I could get a set of the grp N regs from?

Another question - if you fit group N parts do you need to tell your insurance co as eg with brakes they are the same diameter and thickness, just better spec metal? On this I assume you should otherwise they'll get you when you have a claim.
Old 01 August 2002, 12:09 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

IMHO I doubt any Insurance Engineer would be able to suss group N discs on a car, they r exactly the same spec (dimensions) just a different grade of metal... I wouldnt declare group N discs or even uprated pads, its like in forming that u use a better grade of oil
Old 01 August 2002, 01:03 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes I thought you might get away with brakes, but what about suspension, engine mods (such as are allowed)? Especially as its "showroom" Just found some group N suspension bushes for mine. They are same size (of course) and black material, just 75% stiffer
Old 01 August 2002, 01:31 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Group N stuff is supposed to be exactly the same size and shape as OE parts. For group n rallying the engines should be mechanically identical to what comes off the production line. You do, however, find that some companies can 'iron-out' any production tolerances thus giving maximum performance from parts (cam shafts was an Astra favourite). The only part that isn't really governed is the engine management, thus you can run motec, gems or even superchip if you wanted. The FIA produce homologation papers for each car registered with them and this has literally hundreds of pictures of car components giving all production tolerances for scrutineers to check. With Astras you can use a lower ratio box made up of two different standard boxes.
As others have said I doubt if a mechanical engineer could fault any Group N mods to your car.
Hope this helps a little.
Mark