Notices

Handbrake Adjusting

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2002, 09:25 PM
Felix
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handbrake a bit slippy on my 94 wrx - wife parked it on the drive, returned later to find it - on the road.....oooops. I can't see any obvious adjusting point, I've taken the shroud around the handbrake off - but nothing there; and under the car the cables travel from each wheel and disappear into the underside of the car without so much as a little nut to adjust.

Help is required before a nasty big truck T-bones the beast into next doors garden
Old 12 July 2002, 11:11 PM
Rocket
Scooby Newbie

Felix

Recently did the handbrake on my 22b, I believe your car should be able to be adjusted the same way. Its very easy if you have access to a ramp which lifts the car with its rear wheels free to spin. Advantage of working in the motor trade. If you do not have this facility just remember not to get under the car just supported just by a jack (I know - granny /suck eggs - but better safe than squashed)

Lift the centre armrest and remove the two screws at the front of the storage box, this will allow the handbrake surround to be lifted

Sticking straight up is a lock nut and an adjusting nut for the handbrake cable, you can take up some slack by adjusting these (and some people only do this eventually wondering why they still have no handbrake) but the proper way is to adjust the handbrake shoes as well.

Slacken off the cable adjusting nuts inside the car. If you look at the bottom half of each of the rear disc backing plates (why I said its easy if the car is on a ramp) you will see a rubber bung about 1 inch long which needs to be removed. These give access to the shoe adjusters which are adjusted with a screw driver blade or similar tool up to the point just before the shoes start to bind when the wheel is turned. Then just adjust out the slack in the cable with the adjuster in the car and lock it off. Don't forget to put the rubber bungs back. This is the same principal used for adjusting the handbrake on normal rear drum brakes.

When adjusted correctly you will be able to lock the rear brakes with the handbrake should you so desire!!!

Its a lot easier to do than write how to do it

Hope this is of some help as the only T bone you want is a steak.

Ron

Old 13 July 2002, 12:19 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

There is also adjustment from behind the backplate on the disc. There is a small oval window at the bottom of the backplate, with a toothed wheel, which when rotated will either tighten or loosen the handbrake. Cant remember which way is which???
Old 07 December 2002, 09:38 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

The adjustment is by the hand brake lever inside the car. You will most likely have to take off the centre console

[Edited by submannz - 7/12/2002 9:39:02 PM]