Notices

Newage bug blob wrx intercooler on a fozzy 2.5....

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2023, 08:56 AM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Newage bug blob wrx intercooler on a fozzy 2.5....

The stock intercooler on my fozzy 2.5 (2007) has seen better days. I got this newage bug blob (I think?) Wrx one for a reasonable price. I'm happy to knock up some brackets and a new bonnet plenum, but does anyone have a sense of what y pipe arrangement will fit?

Cheers!

Old 03 September 2023, 04:15 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

MY01-05 WRX intercooler into a MY07 Forester XT
Looking at an image of the 07 Forester it looks a faily straight forward swap as the BOV and recirc pipework look to be the same design and pipework as the WRX.

A couple of points:-
1: WRX intercooler designed for cable throttle housing, 07 FXT is DBW, so mounting brackets may need tweaking to suit.
WRX uses the inner mounting hole on the turbo side mounting bracket, the XT uses the outer hole.
2: The rubber shroud on the bonnet air inlet scoop will need to be modified or changed to the Forester STI version to match the cooling fin area.
XT scoop shroud

FSTI moulded shroud

Forester STI intercooler (same as WRX but with mounting brackets to suit DBW) fitted to my old MY03 XT (cable throttle)

Last edited by Don Clark; 06 September 2023 at 12:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 05 September 2023, 04:04 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Cheers Don!

I ordered this Mishimoto kit from amazon. IT arrived today and from a quick gander it looks to fit nicely.

Mishimoto MMHOSE-SUB-INTBK Silicone Intercooler Hoses Compatible With Subaru WRX/STI 2001-2007 Black https://amzn.eu/d/6kjGvAG

I plan to make a more detailed right-up later once I've brought all the pieces together.
Old 06 September 2023, 12:10 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

For some strange reason, when originally posting I thought you had a Forester Sti so have revised my previous post to suit the MY07 XT fitment
Old 06 September 2023, 09:28 AM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
For some strange reason, when originally posting I thought you had a Forester Sti so have revised my previous post to suit the MY07 XT fitment
I wish!

no worries it was helpful anyway. I've made brackets and the mishimoto y pipe fits so the mounting and connection is sorted. It's just the plenum now. So looking at it, the sti version just has an all rubber plenum connected to the flat bonnet metal plate, like this part?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193243187...mis&media=COPY
Old 06 September 2023, 11:13 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

That would be it the duct bellows. Attaches the same way as the existing one with the small rubber tabs.
You say "flat bonnet metal plate" , if original OEM it should have a rectangular duct section to which the original "bellows" is attached

Hopefully that was just an example as it seems a tad expensive compared to HERE even if VAT is included.

Last edited by Don Clark; 06 September 2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06 September 2023, 11:50 AM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
That would be it the duct bellows. Attaches the same way as the existing one with the small rubber tabs.
You say "flat bonnet metal plate" , if original OEM it should have a rectangular duct section to which the original "bellows" is attached

Hopefully that was just an example as it seems a tad expensive compared to HERE even if VAT is included.
That is better!

So the STI one linked has a rectangular fitting to the metal part that is the same shape as the Fozzy XT one? So the difference in shape is made up by the bellow only?
Old 06 September 2023, 01:38 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bazil_SW
That is better!

So the STI one linked has a rectangular fitting to the metal part that is the same shape as the Fozzy XT one? So the difference in shape is made up by the bellow only?
That would be correct.
A better image of it fitted

Last edited by Don Clark; 06 September 2023 at 01:45 PM.
The following users liked this post: