SG5 Foggy tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2022, 05:40 AM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default SG5 Foggy tail lights

Hi guys,

My Forester left tail light assy is foggy since i got the car recently. I removed it from the car and found a crack in the plastic on the back side of the light assy. I've put enough adhesive silicon to cover that crack. I also dried the light assy with a heater gun.
Installed it on the Forester, but found that issue is still exist, nothing changed. Found no crack on the front (glass) side or back sides.

Do you guys have any ideas what can be done with it except buying a new one?

Thanks.

Old 06 June 2022, 09:53 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Right off it's got condensation in the unit, might need new rubber seals. That go in between light and body work, are there any fitted?
The following users liked this post:
Old 06 June 2022, 05:50 PM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Right off it's got condensation in the unit, might need new rubber seals. That go in between light and body work, are there any fitted?
It does not seem to be disassembled easily. I have no experience of changing the rubber seal. Probably needs to be heated well to melt the old seal and make glass removed from the assembly.
What if I just put the adhesive sealant all over, where 'glass' attached to the plastic body?
Old 06 June 2022, 06:33 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Hauntednsk
It does not seem to be disassembled easily. I have no experience of changing the rubber seal. Probably needs to be heated well to melt the old seal and make glass removed from the assembly.
What if I just put the adhesive sealant all over, where 'glass' attached to the plastic body?
Think you misunderstood @jaygsi You shouldn't need to open them up just yet. Its the rubber seal that goes on the light and body of the car to stop moisture getting in.
Old 06 June 2022, 06:51 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

As @NOSSY_89 said, just the gasket that sits behind the light that mounts too the body work. Classic Impreza's never had these, but 2001 onwards models did. So should be the same for yours.

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Think you misunderstood @jaygsi You shouldn't need to open them up just yet. Its the rubber seal that goes on the light and body of the car to stop moisture getting in.
Old 06 June 2022, 07:11 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

If it's the gasket I think you're on about, only the saloons have those as you access the back of the light through the body. Wagons and Forester's need the light removed to access the back so have no gasket as there is no hole to seal up. Maybe you're on about a small seal around the edge but I can't say I remember one on either my Hawk or Bug wagons.

OP, just because you've used a hot air gun doesn't mean it's dry inside. My Dads Forester had similar problems with the headlights and he tried that. Never worked so I took them apart for a good clean and a bit of paint and they haven't had a problem since. The sealant/glue holding the lenses on is called butyl tape. It's not expensive so if you take the lights apart get yourself some fresh stuff instead of reusing the original stuff and risking leaks.
Old 06 June 2022, 07:59 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

As above the only penetration through the bodywork is for the wire grommet.

Old 06 June 2022, 08:41 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

A similar problem raised in 2014
https://www.subaruforester.org/threa...-light.318537/
The back is sonically welded to the housing but "I believe" the two blue "plugs" in the image above are condensation vents
Taking them apart
https://www.subaruforester.org/threa...lights.835219/
Old 06 June 2022, 10:21 PM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Guys, there is nothing wrong with my venting caps and internal separate lights glass enclosures - it is not fogging in there.
Fogging is under the larger 'glass' only, thus, seems like the issue is with that glass and plastic box and fog is usually consentrated on the one side only:

So I think that I might apply some adhesive sealant around the box, where the glass glued with plastic headlight box.
Old 08 June 2022, 06:08 AM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Update:
I applied Permatex Adhesive Silicon on the enitre permiter to cover the gap between the glass and plastic box, as per the images below (yellow shows where silicon applied) and there is no fogging anymore.

THANK YOU GUYS!

The following 2 users liked this post by Hauntednsk: