Recommended decat downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2020, 06:15 PM
LeonWRXL
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Recommended decat downpipe

Car: 2004 blobeye WRX

Been researching for the past few weeks on a Decat downpipe for my car. Decided to make an new topic to get some upto date information and recommendations. Already have a scorpion backbox, standard downpipe and centre cat, standard centre resonator.

I was planning on the Hayward and Scott downpipe 3 into 2.5inch long version to delete both cats. However I recently found a few topics with serious quality concerns on them which has pushed me to make this topic. Other topics seem abit out of date to get a good opinion from.

What decat downpipe is recommended, I’m after 2’5inch and good quality, hassle free fitment. I’d also consider second hand items if anyone happens to be selling a decent downpipe. New to Subaru scene (coming from r32 skylines) so any links to downpipes would be ideal as I notice there’s a lot of Subaru specific shops in the uk

Cheers guys

Last edited by LeonWRXL; 10 April 2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12 April 2020, 09:26 AM
LeonWRXL
Scooby Regular

Also would most decat downpipes mate upto the standard centre section?
Old 12 April 2020, 03:54 PM
RRP1STI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi,I have a ScoobyWorld Ninja de-cat,(2.5”) bought new by me so only ever been on 1 car,been perfect from day 1,only removing as going to 3 inch,
drop me a msg if interested
Old 12 April 2020, 03:56 PM
LeonWRXL
Scooby Regular

Just chucked you a message
Old 12 April 2020, 04:55 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Isn't that made by H&S for Scoobyworld, though they won't admit it.
The following 2 users liked this post by hedgecutter:
Old 12 April 2020, 04:59 PM
LeonWRXL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Isn't that made by H&S for Scoobyworld, though they won't admit it.
i have seen that mentioned during my research
Old 12 April 2020, 10:45 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

nothing wrong with haywood and scott, ive had their products on all 3 of my impreza's with no issues
The following 2 users liked this post by the shreksta:
Old 13 April 2020, 07:09 AM
LeonWRXL
Scooby Regular

I found a couple of topics saying they where poorly made and welds were not very good. And for the price I didn’t want to risk that when a Japspeed downpipe is half the price and from what people where saying same poor quality
Old 13 April 2020, 08:29 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LeonWRXL
I found a couple of topics saying they where poorly made and welds were not very good. And for the price I didn’t want to risk that when a Japspeed downpipe is half the price and from what people where saying same poor quality
it could have been a bad batch mate. loads of peple running H&S exhausts without issue.
i also ran japspeed de-cat downpipes on my last 2 impreza's, a wrx @ 354bhp and a blob sti @ 440 bhp without issue. yes its a budget brand and some of their products may be ill-fitting but in my opinion their downpipe is fine.
toyosport are the brand to avoid, never heard any good feedback on anything they sell.

if im correct H&S make most of the exhausts for scoobyworld like the vortex/raptor/ninja etc and there must be 1000's out there without issue
Old 13 April 2020, 08:29 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Even if you get a poor weld, their customer service is good, and exhausts have a lifetime warranty as long as not tracked. However, a friend with an identical spec c hatch not only had to return his when new with fitment issues, but it then failed an mot within 15 months, and as he had tracked it there was no warranty. But those are the ts&cs.
Old 13 April 2020, 08:33 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Even if you get a poor weld, their customer service is good, and exhausts have a lifetime warranty as long as not tracked. However, a friend with an identical spec c hatch not only had to return his when new with fitment issues, but it then failed an mot within 15 months, and as he had tracked it there was no warranty. But those are the ts&cs.
how would they know it had been tracked?
Old 13 April 2020, 09:27 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
how would they know it had been tracked?
He is honest.
Old 13 April 2020, 09:47 AM
G10
Scooby Regular

What other mods are you planning? Why not just go for a full 3inch system to save having to change it later?
Old 13 April 2020, 10:09 AM
LeonWRXL
Scooby Regular

Cars on 135k miles, I don’t plan on ever running more then Td04 power (280-290bhp).

I already have a 2.5inch scorpion backbox so just looking to decat the downpipe and second cat and keep the standard 2.5inch centre section and my scorpion back box.

other mods include prodrive y pipe, free flowing filter, walbro pump and once downpipes done it’ll be remapped to suit

Last edited by LeonWRXL; 13 April 2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 13 April 2020, 10:52 AM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Last edited by sivo; 15 April 2020 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 13 April 2020, 10:56 AM
LeonWRXL
Scooby Regular

I shouldn’t have any issues with MOT’s with decat, know a few that would be willing to let it go.

based on this would you still recommend the seperate sections as opposed to the single pipe that deletes both cats together
Old 13 April 2020, 11:17 AM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Last edited by sivo; 15 April 2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 13 April 2020, 01:35 PM
LeonWRXL
Scooby Regular

Nice one cheers might go for that then
Old 14 April 2020, 05:32 PM
Samj
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sivo
The above picture is what I’m using on my current car at 360bhp and I will be keeping that set up with a 3” cat back aiming for 430-450 with my new turbo.

I would personally go with the 2 parts, not everyone would agree but you could save yourself a lot of hassle if you can just throw your second cat back on if you ever need to.

Scorpion are the Subaru - PPP parts and fit perfectly.

Dont forget new gaskets for turbo to downpipe, downpipe to secondary cat and a new doughnut gasket to your centre section.

Siv.
Do you know if these same Sedan also fit a WRX Wagon? I'm looking to do the same upgrades myself
Old 14 April 2020, 06:03 PM
R0SS
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'Cobra' down pipe replaces both down pipe and second cat connecting straight to centre section. One piece instead of two. Works well for me and company has a good rep.
Old 14 April 2020, 06:21 PM
LeonWRXL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R0SS
'Cobra' down pipe replaces both down pipe and second cat connecting straight to centre section. One piece instead of two. Works well for me and company has a good rep.
got any links can’t seem to find any cobra downpipes online, maybe discontinued?
Old 14 April 2020, 06:25 PM
Samj
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is that the one shown at the below link? Does this just connect to the standard centre section without issue?

http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/pro...oducts_id=4794
Old 15 April 2020, 12:20 AM
G10
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Samj
Do you know if these same Sedan also fit a WRX Wagon? I'm looking to do the same upgrades myself
Yes they do. All new age (01-06) parts of the exhaust are interchangeable for ppp/sedan/wagon/sti/wrx, providing you don't split the down pipe with the two cats on.
Old 15 April 2020, 07:01 AM
LeonWRXL
Scooby Regular

The h+s downpipe with scorpion centre decat is basically same price as the full cobra downpipe. Will there be much difference in the build quality and fitment between the two? Just looking to do the job once and be hassle free once fitted
Old 15 April 2020, 05:19 PM
R0SS
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Samj
Is that the one shown at the below link? Does this just connect to the standard centre section without issue?

http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/pro...oducts_id=4794
Hi yes that's the one fits to centre section directly. It is basically replacing two parts of exhaust with one. I got mine from Tarmac Sports but on checking today they are out of stock.
Old 15 April 2020, 05:27 PM
R0SS
Scooby Newbie

You should seriously consider replacing your up pipe with a STI one which is cat less unlike your existing WRX one. MattyB will have them in stock usually fairly cheap at £40. I believe it is safer going full decat rather than retaining standard uppipe but I am no expert. Guys on here will advise you properly ?
Old 15 April 2020, 06:04 PM
LeonWRXL
Scooby Regular

You should seriously consider replacing your up pipe with a STI one which is cat less unlike your existing WRX one. MattyB will have them in stock usually fairly cheap at £40. I believe it is safer going full decat rather than retaining standard uppipe but I am no expert. Guys on here will advise you properly ?
I had thought this but looking on forums a lot of people say isn’t really worth it at the power levels I’m after. But I could be wrong if anyone can enlighten...?

i know one issue is the Uppipe cat breaking up and causing turbo damage
Old 15 April 2020, 06:35 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

I have a cobra downpipe with h +s centre and h+s custom back box, fantastic sound from my car,proper Subaru burble
Old 16 April 2020, 08:33 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

personally would not advise running a full de-cat whilst retaining the "pre-cat" up-pipe as they have the potential to overheat and then break up once the downpipe cat restriction is removed............

the GC8 or new-age STi up-pipes are catless and a direct replacement although I would run a Harvey Smith 'trick' up-pipe but then maybe slightly biased..........
Old 16 April 2020, 10:34 AM
LeonWRXL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
personally would not advise running a full de-cat whilst retaining the "pre-cat" up-pipe as they have the potential to overheat and then break up once the downpipe cat restriction is removed............

the GC8 or new-age STi up-pipes are catless and a direct replacement although I would run a Harvey Smith 'trick' up-pipe but then maybe slightly biased..........
Do after market options have bung for egt sensor that I believe is in the Uppipe?

also do I have to do the mod to get rid of eml related to Uppipe or can this be removed during the remap?

Quick Reply: Recommended decat downpipe