Notices

HELP! electric windows!

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2019, 09:13 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default HELP! electric windows!

need some help with my windows. had a low speed shunt in my bug and both drivers doors got damaged so bought a pair from wuz on here but they are jdm doors but thought they would be the same (loom etc) as a uk car (mine) the back door fitted fine and works spot on so decided to do the drivers door today. now this was more of a task as the window glass and motor had been sold from the replacement door so id have to remove mine from my old door and fit then change out the door. so i removed the glass and motor and fitted the motor to the new door and bolted it on plugged everything back in and..........nothing! none of the switches are working at the drivers side and wont open any of the other windows also none of the switches on the doors themselves are working so i cant open any windows now! ive double checked that everything is plugged back up the right way and oddly im getting power to the wing mirrors and can adjust them and the central locking is working too. so there is power from the loom but not to the switch i dont think, which fuse would be for the windows and where is it located under the steering wheel or under the bonnet? also the relay location? im guessing the other windows should work on their own switches even with the drivers main control switch unplugged? really stuck here and the weathers not looking good (rain!) i didnt undo the battery so i might have blown the fuse (idiot i know) any pointers would be really helpful as i cant get the glass back in until i can raise and lower the mechanism! thanks
Old 17 August 2019, 10:12 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Change the door loom to your original UK one.

EDM Wiring diagrams

http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/01impreza/imp01_wir_1.pdf
http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/01impreza/imp01_wir_2.pdf
http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/01impreza/imp01_wir_3.pdf

Last edited by Don Clark; 17 August 2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 17 August 2019, 10:24 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

bit beyond me that don! is the wiring different then you think? plugs looked the same etc i was told the only real difference was that the jdm had an extra bit of wiring or plug for the folding mirrors? why would the others stop working even using their own switches?
Old 18 August 2019, 06:09 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Revisiting the diagrams it maybe just from MY03 onwards when UK cars got "double lock" door locks that the loom is different.

but if all else fails maybe worth a try.

If you look at the Power Window System (wir_3.pdf) it is supplied from SBF6 (engine bay) and F/B no18 (drivers right knee) fuses.

The fuse box layoutss are shown in the Power Supply Routing section of wir_1.pdf.

Last edited by Don Clark; 18 August 2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 18 August 2019, 11:43 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

thanks again don for having another look. is the power to the window motor switched? do i have to stick the meter probes into the plug and then click the drivers switch up and down to see a reading or should there be power to there with just the ignition on? wuz suggested running a power supply straight to the motor to at least get the mechanism raised so i can put the glass back in. could i run some wires from the battery straight to the motors plug to raise it or does it not work that way? electrics arent my strong point lol.
Old 18 August 2019, 02:10 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
thanks again don for having another look. is the power to the window motor switched? do i have to stick the meter probes into the plug and then click the drivers switch up and down to see a reading or should there be power to there with just the ignition on? wuz suggested running a power supply straight to the motor to at least get the mechanism raised so i can put the glass back in. could i run some wires from the battery straight to the motors plug to raise it or does it not work that way? electrics arent my strong point lol.
There is only power to the switch when the ignition is turned on and then it's via the power window circuit breaker and relay. Assuming JDM door loom has same colour wires; 12v Supply is Green/Black wire to switch plug / Earth is black wire
Ign supply is from F/B to solenoid coil of relay which closes contacts allowing battery supply via SBF6 to circuit breaker to switch.

You can supply power direct to motor, one way will be up ( +12v at blue/red; earth blue); the other down.
Old 18 August 2019, 06:26 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

don thanks for all the great info and effort you always go to to provide help and answers! well the upshot of it was the jdm wiring loom is different! so ive had to remove the wiring from my old door and plug it in and get the mechanism raised and i managed to get the glass back in the runners and bolted back together so at least ive got a closed window and secure car from the elements as it rained earlier this afternoon. i will now have to remove the wiring from the new door and re install my old wiring back in. another pain is i will have to swap my drivers mirror as well as that didnt work with my old wiring so that must be different too! moral of the story is if you try to replace the doors of a uk car with jdm ones it isnt a straight swap and you will need to remove your wiring and install in the new door as i did. trust me after all the blood,sweat and tears over the last few days id say just get a uk door!
Old 18 August 2019, 06:29 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Glad you're getting there
Old 18 August 2019, 06:37 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

yeah i looked at the wiring colours and noticed the different layout and when i plugged my old wiring loom in all the window switches were working again as well so all good.
i didnt think the mirror would be different just thought it would have 2 extra pins for opening/closing the folding mirrors. hopefully someone else might find this thread in future
and save themselves some grief! thanks again don, top man!