Notices

Spec C steering rack issues

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2019, 04:37 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts
Default Spec C steering rack issues

Last August I replaced my jdm hatch rack bushes, but last week I had an MOT advisory for ( lateral) play in the rack bushes.
When stationary, there is the minutest play with ignition off, and when the PAS is on, none that I can detect. Looking at them, they seem fine; the cylindrical two took a quarter turn tighter, but you can see the movement in the grease of the 3rd Bush, maybe 2mm max.
Is there anything else that could allow this lateral movement, at the tie rods or within the Bush barrel for eg? The bushes are a well known up rated make, so I would be very surprised if they are worn.
Thanks
Old 08 May 2019, 07:37 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

The third bush being the passenger side one?
Whiteline supply two sizes in their kit - 2mm difference in diameter - for variations in rack barrel diameter. But that wouldn't be called lateral movement.

If in doubt return to MOTer and ask for clarification on what the advisory is actually for.

Lateral movement of the rack barrel within the subframe is controlled by the two smaller "gearbox" end bushes and their mounting bracket (cusco upgrade shown)..............

However lateral movement of the whole subframe was addressed by STI with it's flexible draw stiffener kit
Old 08 May 2019, 10:13 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Don. The tester couldn't see the rack due to the under tray, but I did phone him afterwards and he confirmed he believed it was bush movement . Without a drive on ramp I can't replicate the play as I'm on axle stands.
One of the gear side bushes is pushing out of the carrier a bit; is that what the Cusco bracket prevents, as it looks like it covers more of the top of the bush? Where it looks like it is pushing out may be the lip of the bush.
The (well known) manufacturer of these bushes left out part of the removal tool and put in an extra Bush insert instead, so they don't inspire confidence. The (lifetime) warranty button on their website just goes to the page top.
Old 08 May 2019, 11:20 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

CUSCO Power Brace Power Steering Rack (WRX/STi 08-14) 692 026 A

The Cusco Power Steering Rack Brace Subaru is a direct replacement of the stock OEM unit specifically designed for the vehicle by Cusco.
The Cusco brace is much stronger compared to the OEM unit and will improve the steering response of the vehicle, moreover will also prevent unwanted steering backlash to the steering rack.

Last edited by Don Clark; 08 May 2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09 May 2019, 01:50 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Spec C might already come with the upgraded bracket? ST34166ST000

good pic showing difference between std & cusco one
https://cdn.snsimg.carview.co.jp/min...t=fc46b4fbdffd

Last edited by Gambit; 09 May 2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09 May 2019, 03:51 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
Spec C might already come with the upgraded bracket? ST34166ST000

good pic showing difference between std & cusco one
https://cdn.snsimg.carview.co.jp/min...t=fc46b4fbdffd
Only the "specials" get the STI bracket

Last edited by Don Clark; 09 May 2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09 May 2019, 05:39 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

I'm going to get 30 mins ramp time with the MOT tester and the under tray off, then look at new Superpro bushes and the Cusco brace if applicable. Otherwise it's 1k for a jdm rack. Maybe it's never been held in position properly and that's what causes the knocking noise that I have always had .