WRX GDA Performance Gains, Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2018, 02:11 PM
Brian Powell
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WRX GDA Performance Gains, Help Needed

Hi all, hope you are all well!

I recently brought my scooby and loving every minute of it. I've spent the last 4 months keeping it standard and decided that it is now time for me to upgrade it.

I'm not looking for outrageous power, would be happy with 250 - 270. The car to my knowledge is completely standard, bar the backbox which isn't standard (not a twin pipe).

I have been looking at exhaust systems and wanted to remove the central cat and replace the downpipe with a sport one. Would this still pass a MOT?

My next question would be where do you guys buy your parts from? eBay is just flooded with cheap stuff, would prefer to buy branded unless you guys rate a lower brand etc.

Regards

Brian
Old 29 September 2018, 10:50 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Gda covers 5 years of cars as far as I'm aware so a bit more info on the car would help along with milage and any service history to give an idea of the quality of the engine etc

Removing the cat will result in a fail unless you have a local friendly tester or put the cat back on before the mot

For the power you want a new filter such as a hks, full decat and remap should get you there easy but this all depends on the strength of your engine etc..

For parts check the breakers section on here, beyond that it depends where you are in the world :-)

Hth

Edit: it will pass with a sports cat, I missed the sport bit and assumed decat, assuming you keep the other cat in place anyway

Last edited by MrRtm; 29 September 2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 29 September 2018, 11:07 AM
Brian Powell
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

It is a 2005 Impreza WRX, been dry stored for last 5 years by an old man who was too scared to drive it. Not in perfect condition but is definitely above average. 75k miles. Completely standard, previous owners had it for a weekend car etc. One of the only reasons I brought it, due to knowing it hasn't been raced around.

Thanks for the info, I'll check the website for parts.

​​​​​​​What would you say would be a good price for a sport cat? Prices seem to vary and any decent brands?
Old 29 September 2018, 01:05 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

For the gains you are looking for, you wouldn't need to go the sports cat route, just fit a 2nd cat replacement pipe (and rear box depending upon what's fitted) along with a remap and you effectively have the equivalent of the Prodrive Performance Pack for the WRX.

https://impreza.co/wp-content/upload...P-Brochure.pdf
Old 30 September 2018, 04:18 PM
Brian Powell
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info.

So i'm right to say it wont pass a MOT if i remove center cat and sport cat the other?

Last edited by Brian Powell; 01 October 2018 at 08:37 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 30 September 2018, 05:24 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Powell
Thanks for the info.

So i'm right to say it wont pass a MOT if i remove center cat and sport car the other?
No. It only needs one visible CAT for MOT/VOSA inspection. Whether it passes on emissions depends upon the quality of the Sports Car and tune.