Notices

Tmic water spray

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2018, 07:55 PM
Ned Han
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tmic water spray

I’m sure this has been covered before but I can’t seem to find the answer I need.
have a new age sti tmic on my p1 and the under tray is modded to suit.
I have just rigged up a water spray system using the headlight washer pump.
What I need to know is
1. What relay can I use to hold the pump on longer when I hit the standard headlight washer switch?
2. Where can I get a higher pressure pump so I can get a mist rather than a spray?

i have used 2 garden sprinkler type jets as they give a better spray pattern than the own Subaru 1. There’s enough pressure if I only use 1 jet to give a nice fine mist but not enough for 2 jets
Old 09 July 2018, 08:11 PM
iain710
Scooby Regular

I asked the same question when mine was being mapped....
The reply was not hold it on so it saturates the top mount....
A quick press was all that needed every so often when driving spiritedly..
Old 09 July 2018, 08:19 PM
Ned Han
Scooby Regular

I was thinking the same but it only runs for a second and barely gets going. Doing a bit of research and it seems I need a mist rather than a spray for best results. I won’t be going for an auto set up or anything but I’d like it to be as effective as possible
Old 09 July 2018, 08:42 PM
iain710
Scooby Regular

Can you not stick a one way valve in the supply line to stop water running back down the pipe?
Old 09 July 2018, 09:55 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

have you thought about controlling via an adjustable boost pressure switch?

There are cheaper ones but with this you can set when it comes in.
The pump is difficult because car washers/ tmic spray tend to be low pressure and you really want something high pressure and cost effective which the above switch probably isn't.
just my thoughts
Trev

Last edited by trevsjwood; 09 July 2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09 July 2018, 10:51 PM
Ned Han
Scooby Regular

Hadn’t really thought about the switch. The car only ever does maybe 1/2k a yea so it’s not a major problem but I would like something to help with the heat.
Ive just fitted a td05 18g and already had a new age sti tmic. The heat build up if you open the bonnet after a run is a lot more than with the vf35 I had before with the same top mount. Dosnt really seem to matter how easy you drive either, still packs a fair bit of heat.
Old 09 July 2018, 11:31 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

the water wont help with the under bonnet temps, a better system than the oem intercooler spray would help to bring air charge temps down more quickly but don't greatly effect charge temps on full boost. Prehaps a turbo blanket might help. It's odd it's creating a lot more heat, did you get a hike in power?
Trev
Old 10 July 2018, 06:21 AM
Ned Han
Scooby Regular

I bought a new blanket when I fitted this turbo but I’m starting to think it’s usel. The last 1 had started to break up but it did seem to work very well.
Part of the problem it the bigger tmic sits farther over so it’s right above the turbo.
Should mention, the turbos zircotec coated as well.
Still only running 1.4 bar as we seem to have a fuelling issue but that’s for another thread. But no, I wouldn’t say any major increase in power, just laggier.
I would like to get this sorted to help when the boost goes up
Old 10 July 2018, 06:22 AM
Ned Han
Scooby Regular

I bought a new blanket when I fitted this turbo but I’m starting to think it’s usel. The last 1 had started to break up but it did seem to work very well.
Part of the problem it the bigger tmic sits farther over so it’s right above the turbo.
Should mention, the turbos zircotec coated as well.
Still only running 1.4 bar as we seem to have a fuelling issue but that’s for another thread. But no, I wouldn’t say any major increase in power, just laggier.
I would like to get this sorted to help when the boost goes up
Old 10 July 2018, 09:57 AM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

the sti top mount works better if it has it's scoop and undertray. The higher rise scoop has a side vent which is part of the scoop (prob the same on all scoops) but intakes airflow down on to the turbo. Is your undertray modded to that effect? The bigger intercooler does cover more of the exhaust housing but that shouldn't be an issue.
Trev
Old 10 July 2018, 10:09 AM
Ned Han
Scooby Regular

Still have the standard scoop for the standard look. The under tray is cut to suit the size of the cooler and a flap made to give a good seal to direct all air onto the core so it has lost the vent for the turbo. Not a factory look but I can always stick a standard tray back in if I want to back to original
Old 10 July 2018, 12:52 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

I'd be asking why the TD05 appears to be creating more heat than the vf35. If it's working harder, that will produce more heat compressor side, also egt's can vary and would have an impact. Does the intercooler feel warm after a spirited run or is it a bit on the hot side?
Trev
Old 10 July 2018, 01:09 PM
Ned Han
Scooby Regular

I have a habit of feeling the top mount when I put it back in the garage. It takes a few minutes to get the garage open and get the car backed in as it’s a little tight.
I leave the car running for this so obviously the cooler will warm up. It’s never hot, just warm as you’d expect. But I’d imagine it’d be like that in traffic and that’s what I’m trying to avoid.
I’m not trying to make more power with this, just want to run it a little safer
Old 10 July 2018, 01:57 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

personally I wouldn't worry but obviously that's your call. what you are witnessing is within normal. Clearly concerns are raised because the car appears hotter since the change of turbo.
The fact the engine is running keeps the turbo spinning and drawing air through the cooler, I assume it's the standard intake snorkel drawing air from outside the car, then that's good. Heatsoak occurs when the car is parked with engine switched off.
I've been down the route of spraying water up into the bonnet scoop which was for me, interesting to do but in the end got fed up with it and removed it. It was never an engine saver, there's to much other stuff does an engine in.
Trev