2008 SUBARU STI IDLE PROBLEM!?

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2018, 11:12 AM
Conjiman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 SUBARU STI IDLE PROBLEM!?

Hi peeps.

I recently noticed since I’ve got my 2008 Subaru WRC Sti back that the idle fluctuates slightly when hot. If I give it a little Rev the idle will drop under 900rpm and go to die then it picks back up again. After that it seems to every now and then fluctuate. I’m guessing boost leak/ coolant temp sense? I left the car running and unplugged the MAF to see if it was that and as predicted it cut the engine so that seems to all be fine. My car also thinks the outside temp is 50 degrees Celsius? - conjiman

Last edited by Conjiman; 27 June 2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 28 June 2018, 07:35 PM
IVIike
Scooby Regular

I have a same problem on my wrx 03, boost gauge is showing low boost I have read bad vacuumed line connection could be to blame but my mechanic wants to do a compression test on cylinders. Do you have a boost guage?

You may need a similar test but I hear u can get vacuumed lines tested too if that’s any help...

Hope someone in the know can answer for you as I would also like to know the cause / cure
Old 28 June 2018, 08:44 PM
Conjiman
Scooby Newbie

I just had the engine rebuilt it’s on 400 miles almost ready for a service. I doubt mine needs a compression test? It’s got to be a leak in one of the lines surely or a temp gauge? I know boat leaks can be a ******* to find! Today my idle has got worse it’s even cut out in traffic twice 🙁 which is a first. I do have a lightened flywheel but I can’t see this being the issue?
Old 28 June 2018, 09:09 PM
IVIike
Scooby Regular

Hope it is just an air line for ya bud. Curious, how much was the rebuild n what work was done?

I fear I may be heading in that route depending on the results of my compression test. Will of course b checking solenoid n waste gate actuator before I start a rebuild.
Old 28 June 2018, 09:13 PM
Conjiman
Scooby Newbie

Engine rebuild was 3.5k by Andy Williams. That’s just the engine being rebuilt. Cost of taking engine out and in being shipped to him + a new header tank and oil control valve was £700. Just done the brakes this week. Had competition brakes that’s squealed like a ******* because they took ages to get up to temp. Unbelievable stopping power but weren’t for road use. Fitted Brembo pads and discs all round. £280 off euro car parts with discount. Just need to get this idle sorted!!!