Notices

New build starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2018, 12:58 PM
nudge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New build starting problems

I've checked everything I can think of, don't know where to go now.
my93 wax, full forged engine build, just got it back, all built back up, dropped it back in and it won't start. Only real difference apart from the engine is I have relocated battery in the boot to allow more room for intercooler pipe position, it turns over fine but won't fire, no spark and no feed to injectors. Changed the crank and cam sensor for spare ones I had and no difference.
one anomaly I found is with a plug in the coil pack (to check spark) if I just turn on ignition the plug will spark once, it is random and not every time, I have found the same from connecting a noid to the injector plug, it will flash just as ignition comes on but nothing as it turns over, I'm still thinking cam or crank sensor but not really sure how to test them. It is fitted with vernier cam pulleys, gap between pick ups and sensor look ok so can't see that's a problem.
any ideas or where I can get it sorted.
cheers people.
Old 06 February 2018, 08:16 PM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming wiring is correct and you have continuity in the circuits.. It may possibly be immobilizer related? Is there an immobilizer system fitted?
Old 06 February 2018, 09:10 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Might be worth unplugging the cam and crank sensors and looking in the plugs to see if the pins are intact. Happened to me before where the pin had pulled back slightly so it wasn’t touching the sensor.
Old 06 February 2018, 09:23 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by nudge
I've checked everything I can think of, don't know where to go now.
my93 wax, full forged engine build, just got it back, all built back up, dropped it back in and it won't start. Only real difference apart from the engine is I have relocated battery in the boot to allow more room for intercooler pipe position, it turns over fine but won't fire, no spark and no feed to injectors. Changed the crank and cam sensor for spare ones I had and no difference.
one anomaly I found is with a plug in the coil pack (to check spark) if I just turn on ignition the plug will spark once, it is random and not every time, I have found the same from connecting a noid to the injector plug, it will flash just as ignition comes on but nothing as it turns over, I'm still thinking cam or crank sensor but not really sure how to test them. It is fitted with vernier cam pulleys, gap between pick ups and sensor look ok so can't see that's a problem.
any ideas or where I can get it sorted.
cheers people.
Is it your original engine that you have had rebuilt or have you fitted a different engine?? If it's a different engine it could have the wrong crankshaft sprocket fitted giving wrong signals....had it myself before.
Old 06 February 2018, 10:12 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smithys STI
Is it your original engine that you have had rebuilt or have you fitted a different engine?? If it's a different engine it could have the wrong crankshaft sprocket fitted giving wrong signals....had it myself before.
I had the exact same problem before
Old 07 February 2018, 07:03 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Isn't there a injector plug and cam sensor plug that can get mixed up?
Old 07 February 2018, 01:47 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by imprezagaz
Might be worth unplugging the cam and crank sensors and looking in the plugs to see if the pins are intact. Happened to me before where the pin had pulled back slightly so it wasn’t touching the sensor.
Happened to me too on the crank pos sensor. Worth a check!