Notices

Power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2017, 07:04 PM
Mpf1987
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump

After a bit of advice please peeps. My 2004 sti has developed a squeak when cold (first start up of the day or after it's been stud for a few hours) after it's been runnng 10-15 mins it goes off. After having a look and a listen it seems to be the PAS pump, while looking I noticed the pump seems to be leaking. Could the leak be contributing to the squeak? And is there a common place the pump may leak from? I'm just wondering if there may be a cheap fix or am I best off just sourcing another pump, and where would sell them at a "reasonable" price (can you get a recon unit?). Cheers in advance. Matt.
Old 02 November 2017, 07:55 AM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

On the top fitting where the rubber hose connects, it has a o ring inside. I had the same happen to mine. Changed that o ring and it has been fine since. Think it was drawing air in past the seal. Can't remember the size though.
Old 02 November 2017, 03:47 PM
Mpf1987
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah iv herd this is a common fault just didn't think this would cause the pump to squeak? For the price of an o ring it's worth changing it.
Old 02 November 2017, 07:19 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had some power steering pump issues on my jdm legacy. I've also found the standard hose clips subaru use aren't great, so I'd recommend replacing them with jubilee clips at the same time.