Notices

WRX Blobeye handling problems

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2017, 07:09 PM
Stephen Kay
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Blobeye handling problems

Hello, I have a 2005 WRX Blobeye and knock coming from the rear passenger side strut which seems to be a common problem. This noise has been there for a little while but it's really bad now. I noticed today that the steering feels a lot different than it was before, Feels like their is a lot of body sway just wondering if you guys have any suggestions? I'm getting the car up on a lift tomorrow so we can have a proper look at it and source the problem. I know i need to replace the rear strut not sure if its just the strut mount or the full unit. Money is an issue at the moment lol how much would it be for just a standard unit or is their any cheap coilover kits out there? I seen cheap ones on ebay but don't know if i should stay clear from them? picture below. Thanks,

Stephen
Old 20 October 2017, 10:11 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Kyb ultra sr's seem to be the most cost effective option. That's what I fitted.

Stay well clear of cheap coil overs, infact stay well clear of anything on eBay.

good luck
Old 20 October 2017, 11:30 PM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

Agreed on the above, avoid the cheap coilovers. After research I went for KYB shocks with PCA springs on my Blob wagon, can’t fault them.
Old 20 October 2017, 11:37 PM
Stephen Kay
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys, what about the pedders Suspension kit from ScoobyWorld? It's a bit pricey for me right now but is it worth it or should i wait and get a better kit? Thanks,

Stephen
Old 21 October 2017, 12:54 AM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

On my wrx wagon I lifted the plastic cover on the strut and sprayed the shiny silver part with loads of lithium grease.
the wd40 version.
it cured the knocking completely.
I actually bought a brand new set of rear kyb ultras but never fitted them.
I literally just forgot about the issue .even took car on a track day.
I read about it a few years back on here,itnworkes for some but not others.
cheers.Justin.
Old 21 October 2017, 01:02 AM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Other people drilled into the red casing part and fitted a little m8 one way valve and pumped the strut full of new grease with a grease gun.
basically the grease inside the strut goes slightly hard and stops lubricating the shiny silver part.
there's a few threads about it as people were getting annoyed with spending money on new shocks for them to not last very long before the knocking started again.
I bought the m8 one way valve but didn't fit it as the spray technique worked for me.
Old 21 October 2017, 11:45 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Try and resolve steering issues first as it's sounds more than just a knocking rear strut IMO. If one strut is knocking, chances are the other will start soon and all 4 will tired.

KYB shocks with PCA springs is the best I have used for daily driving and you are probably looking at a grand+ once you factor in replacing everything. But there are other alternatives. May as well try and wait and save up until you can do everything at the same time (drop links, ARB bushes etc plus full geo).
Old 21 October 2017, 02:55 PM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Knocking shocks shouldn't really affect the steering, so I'd check for broken droplinks, worn bushes or a broken ARB.
Old 21 October 2017, 04:05 PM
Stephen Kay
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply guys, We are going to have a proper look tomorrow. Drop links were done not too long ago. I’ll check for worn bushes or broken ARB. Cheers
Old 21 October 2017, 04:09 PM
lewis87
Scooby Regular

Like stamina_daddy said, I also cured a knocking rear shock with a bit of grease under the boot. Literally a 10 minute job.
Old 21 October 2017, 06:06 PM
Stephen Kay
Scooby Newbie

I'll try that for the rear strut for now and save to change all 4. For now i'll just focus on getting the handling issue sorted. Wheres best to get bushes, drop links etc? I've had a look on scoobyworld at the powerflex bushes. If you guys know anywhere else that does them or anything better let me know, cheers

Stephen
Old 21 October 2017, 06:39 PM
lewis87
Scooby Regular

Importcarparts is good if you want OEM stuff.