Notices

WRX blobeye looking for around 300bhp

Old 15 October 2017, 04:25 PM
Stephen Kay
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX blobeye looking for around 300bhp

Hi guys, I have a 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX Blobeye which is totally standard and I'm looking to start doing upgrades. My goal for now is around 280-300bhp and was just wondering if I could get some advice.

I have looked at some parts already and decided on
Afterburner Vortex Cat-Back,
Afterburner one piece full length Downpipe
K&N Panel Filter
Walbro 255lph
remap by Andy Forrest

Would i need a decat uppipe? just looking for someone to point me in the right direction, It's my first car never mind my first subaru lol thanks,

Stephen
Old 15 October 2017, 08:52 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you need to replace the uppipe with a straight through version on the wrx, also the standard turbo will struggle to get the power, so billet version of the TD04 or VF 35/34. It's 10 years since I did this and the memory has faded a tad. If you're planning to go a bit further in the future then I'd go with a VF turbo, if not an improved version of the TD04 would retain the quick spool.
Trev
Old 15 October 2017, 09:24 PM
Stephen Kay
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply, I've read that the standard turbo is good for upto 300bhp? Only looking for around 300bhp at the moment, if i want more then will upgrade turbo and injectors but think next year i'm going to go for an STI so just want a little extra power for now. Do I only need to replace the uppipe ( pre cat ) with a straight through or do i still need to replace the front and rear cat with a straight through as well? Cheers,

Stephen
Old 15 October 2017, 10:36 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be surprised if the standard turbo got up there. If you de-cat downstream of the turbo you will have MOT issues and not really necessary. Prehaps something more free flowing than what you have now but retaining some emissions control. I went for a 3"system with sports cat and hi-flow centre cat which flows well into 400hp so you wouldn't need to go that far.
Trev
Old 15 October 2017, 10:47 PM
Stephen Kay
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, I’m not wanting to go too crazy and spends loads as going to upgrade next year. I’d like 280bhp minimum, I’ll decat uppipe and get the afterburner vortex cat back, maybe try pick up a pro drive sports cat or just go full decat if I need to. I don’t mind putting cats back on for MOT or getting a friendly MOT lol. I’m sure I read on here standard turbo can reach 310-320bho but that’s pushing it to its limit? Thanks,

stephen
Old 16 October 2017, 10:38 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

The standard turbo can make maybe 280bhp on a good day. Treat that as a max figure. You can keep the standard TD04 and change the compressor wheel for a larger 19T and then make perhaps 310-320bhp. Otherwise you'll need to change the whole turbo for a bigger unit (VF35 from an STi etc). You'll also need bigger injectors to safely run above 300bhp.

If your car is currently standard (non PPP) with 220bhp, then retaining the stock turbo with a decent remap to around 270bhp will completely transform the car. Maybe consider that first and concentrate on uprating the brakes and suspension and ensuring everything else is tip-top first, before looking for more power.

Also, don't fit a K&N "oiled filter". Stick to the oil-free paper filters.
Old 16 October 2017, 01:06 PM
Stephen Kay
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply, I think I’ll just focus on getting around 270bhp for now and just go for an STI next year. Would I get this with Afterburner vortex cat-back, walbro 255lph fuel pump, decat uppipe and what Air filter would you suggest? Kinda have a rough idea about it all but new to the Subaru scene so thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it, cheers

stephen
Old 16 October 2017, 01:46 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Cosworth or Pro-R filters are popular. Probably won't lose anything by using an OEM paper filter. The most important thing is that they are clean/new.
Old 16 October 2017, 02:31 PM
Stephen Kay
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, also silly question but any suggestions on a blow off valve? Just like the sound, I’ve seen you can get them ranging from £30-£300. Just after a cheap reliable one for now. Thanks,

stephen
Old 16 October 2017, 02:46 PM
TheWaterboy
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BOV will do nothing for performance and in some cases will reduce it. If you like the sound then I would recommend going for a good quality unit or you'll run the risk of boost leaks. Something like the GFB Respons is a good bet as you adjust it to vent or recirculate meaning you have the best of both worlds. BOVs that fully vent always run the risk of running issues.

With regards to more power:

http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1504
Old 16 October 2017, 03:29 PM
Stephen Kay
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, if I was to buy a cheaper one and run the risk off boost leaks couldn’t I just put the original back on? Would it cause any damage? I don’t want to put loads of money into it as getting rid of it next year. I have been looking at scooby world packages but they are a bit far away. Don’t have time travel that far, cheers

Stephen
Old 16 October 2017, 03:34 PM
Neeko1988
Scooby Regular

I had a 2005 WRX, it had a panel filter, Decat exhaust and remap by scoobyworld before i bought it and it made 275bhp. was a real fun car to drive and wouldnt cost to much to replicate
Old 16 October 2017, 03:52 PM
Stephen Kay
Scooby Newbie

275bhp would be ideal, the car is only for a bit of fun right now. Want to get a bit more power without spending crazy. If I could get 270-280bhp id be happy. Suspension, brakes and a new set of rims are next on the list. Any suggestions are welcome, as long as it doesn’t cost too much and is reliable lol. If my insurance wasn’t as expensive money wouldn’t be much of an issue. Cheers

Stephen

Last edited by Stephen Kay; 16 October 2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 16 October 2017, 08:55 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
If you do ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 17 October 2017, 07:45 PM
john_d
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stephen Kay
It's my first car never mind my first subaru lol thanks,

Stephen
insurance must have cost as much as the car
Old 17 October 2017, 08:32 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

My blobeye wrx made 274bhp with a scoobyclinic map that was on it when i brought it with cobra full decat,panel filter and perrin inlet pipe. I had it mapped again by andrew carr around 2 years ago as i wanted carrberry rom and with the addition of an sti tmic it made 292bhp and the difference in how it performs is night and day. It had a forge v.t.a d.v on but ive now changed to an o.e recirc and it drives so much smoother now.
Old 17 October 2017, 08:32 PM
Stephen Kay
Scooby Newbie

Not quite, insurance was £2400 a year lol car was a bit more than that
Old 17 October 2017, 08:42 PM
Jon T
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

How long have you been driving?
Old 17 October 2017, 08:46 PM
Stephen Kay
Scooby Newbie

I’m 19, been driving 2 years and 4 months. Always been on insurance with parents so have 0 years no claims. £2400 was cheapest I could find. I was £1800 a year for a 1.4 Astra with my mum haha

Search this Thread