Notices

Coolant airlock!

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2017, 05:59 PM
madmattwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant airlock!

Hi I thought I would put this here quickly to help anyone else in the future that is as mechanically retarded as me.

My car was overheating really badly the fans were blowing cold air and it was diagnosed as an airlock and to try “burping” the system, I tried this to no avail and the only option was to drain it fully!

I can’t believe how easy it was with the header tank being up top all you have to do is connect some pipe to where the turbo returns the water to the header (closest to bulkhead) and trail it into a bucket next connect hosepipe to the header tank where you have just removed the turbo return from and run the tap! Wait for the water to run clear then turn it all off reconnect the hose from turbo to header and here’s where you now need a funnel, take the header cap off put funnel in then top up with undiluted coolant leave funnel in and start the car leave to run until it gets up to temp squeezing top rad pipe a few times to get any final bubbles out and away we go put cap back on your done!

Hope this helps even just one person
Old 08 October 2017, 07:31 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

good method to clear out the old coolant but you missed a trick for refilling it. stuff the funnel into the turbo return pipe and back fill the coolant from the bottom up. if done nice and slowly without gurgling then you will avoid air getting trapped. keep going until the header tank fills up then reconnect and turn over and tick over and top up as necessary. if you search for user alcazar there is posts regarding this method as there,s no way to bleed the system on a subaru.
Old 08 October 2017, 07:32 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

also to say the coolant should be a 50/50 mix not undiluted.
Old 08 October 2017, 07:37 PM
madmattwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did say top up with undiluted as it will take about 3 more litres after flushing