Notices

Quick ej205 engine question

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2017, 10:53 PM
Mart1n95
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick ej205 engine question

Just put the bottom end out my 2005 wrx, the crankshaft has scored the block so it appears it's had far too much forward/backward movement. From what I can see the cylinder walls look scored too so I've decided to just get a replacement engine. I've searched various forums and just wanted to double check before I buy a new engine a few things.
From what I can see all ej205 (2001-2005) engines are the same no matter the model they're fitted to? ie wagon, forester, impreza
Old 26 September 2017, 11:17 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mart1n95
Just put the bottom end out my 2005 wrx, the crankshaft has scored the block so it appears it's had far too much forward/backward movement. From what I can see the cylinder walls look scored too so I've decided to just get a replacement engine. I've searched various forums and just wanted to double check before I buy a new engine a few things.
From what I can see all ej205 (2001-2005) engines are the same no matter the model they're fitted to? ie wagon, forester, impreza
Yes all ej205 short blocks are the same.
If you're gonna buy new then you might as well get the ej207 short block from the Sti, everything bolts right up exactly the same however they have much stronger components.
ASperformance had some on the shelf not so long ago and at a fantastic price.
Old 27 September 2017, 07:17 AM
Mart1n95
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by gazney101
Yes all ej205 short blocks are the same.
If you're gonna buy new then you might as well get the ej207 short block from the Sti, everything bolts right up exactly the same however they have much stronger components.
ASperformance had some on the shelf not so long ago and at a fantastic price.
I'm not buying a new engine, just another used one, I should of specified. I assume then the management is compatible with the ej207 then too if it's much and such the same?
Old 27 September 2017, 11:04 AM
Mart1n95
Scooby Newbie

I've found a jdm ej207 for a good price, is there anything that would cause an issue from it being a jdm engine?
Old 27 September 2017, 12:18 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not at all, just make sure you get the correct thickness head gaskets so as not to alter the compression ratio.
i would add that whilst the engine is out and the heads are off it would be wise to put fresh bearings and rings in it for the little it costs, and a new oil modine.
Old 30 September 2017, 08:31 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Is it a long engine (cylinder heads too), or just a short block?

If it's a long engine, you will need to somehow drive the AVCS system, which as far as I'm aware means either aftermarket ECU, or *maybe* it's possible with a map somehow.

Either way, you will of course need to remap the engine as well, because if its a JDM 207, it will have different CR to your WRX.
Old 02 October 2017, 03:23 PM
Mart1n95
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Henrik
Is it a long engine (cylinder heads too), or just a short block?

If it's a long engine, you will need to somehow drive the AVCS system, which as far as I'm aware means either aftermarket ECU, or *maybe* it's possible with a map somehow.

Either way, you will of course need to remap the engine as well, because if its a JDM 207, it will have different CR to your WRX.
I've found a whole engine including engine harness and ecu so I can just use that ecu. The only parts that would affect a map slightly would be the CAI and exhaust. I'll get a remap at some point and put my vf35 turbo on rather than the bugeye sti turbo that comes with the engine
Old 02 October 2017, 03:47 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Im in this again :-) on my 05 WRX
So just ordered a short block EJ205 with later Version (thrust) crank ( Ashley Wilks Engines ) but other will do you these too for under 1.5 k pounds outright. If you look for a S/H 207 it will cost normally more . And you don't know what is the condition. Anyway for heads you do not Need to hook up the AVCS the Sti'heads will fit on a EJ20 block and as yours is a WRX 05 you don't have the electrics in place for it. The WRX heads flow just as much for peak power development without all the fungdungus. If you are running >340-350 hp then ist time to look for S/H Sti Pistons on the rebuild ( they fit the WRX heads just need a different gasket thickness 1.0 mm (check that though ) to compensate the CR. Sti have raised Profile piston