Power steering delete

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2017, 09:55 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Power steering delete

So I've been reading about power steering deletes over at Nasioc for a while, and I've also had cars without power steering in the past, and they've been amazing from a steering feeling point of view (E.g. my old mx5). Some of the posters on Nasioc seem to think it's not too bad, soo.. I figured I'd give it a go.

It's friggin' horrific (This is not just taking the belt off, btw, but looping the lines etc etc)... I can't even turn a corner properly, and forget parking in a tight spot. I guess the americans mostly drive in straight lines, but to my mind, it's just plain dangerous how much effort the steering takes (mind I have a smaller wheel, but still).

If you're thinking about doing it, then my advice is *don't*, unless your car is a drag only car.

The pump is going back on ASAP.
Old 05 September 2017, 11:42 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

lol I wouldn't be doing this on an Impreza. Back in the day cars were lighter with no power steering. There's a lot heavier now a days.
Old 08 September 2017, 09:52 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different steering racks on non-power steering cars. Even the WRC cars retain the power steering
Old 10 September 2017, 09:27 PM
die-tryin
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or mod a electric pump set up. or run electric column or rack. if it needed to be removed
Old 11 September 2017, 02:47 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Yeah I have a power steering pump from a saxo, but tbh I think I'm at the state now where I will just hang the OEM pump and hoses back on.

don't want to spend any more money now before taking it for an mot. Haven't driven it for five plus years (except driving it to the front of the house), and spent thousands in the mean time

I have however taken the opportunity to fit an Sti rack I had lying around... dropped the wrx rack yesterday and will hopefully fit the Sti one some time this week.