Notices

Replacement WRX seats - lightweight.

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2017, 09:55 AM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement WRX seats - lightweight.

Hi guys. Its been a while since ive been on here, but im getting in the mood to start a few more little projects on my 04 WRX.

OK. So im looking into new front seats with better support then the stock wrx. Rather then just getting STI seats I want something a bit different, preferably still black in colour too. Also looking into the fact that, from what ive read stock subaru seats are very heavy at about 25kg each! So is it possible to get a more lightweight seat (perhaps 10-15kg per seat fitted) and still be ok with normal seat belts for normal day to day use.

Thanks
Old 24 August 2017, 07:53 AM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

I have been doing some digging about and found some entry level buckets suitable for use with stock seat belts too. The are the corbeau club sport that come with everything to fit and weigh in at 9.5 kg each. from what I have seen the stock WRX seats weigh about 23kg in anewage so if this is correct that is a great saving and also having the benefit of the seat giving much more side support.

When it comes to the air bag what do I need to do/use to trick the ecu to avoid a check engine lamp when the air bag seats are removed?

thanks all
Old 24 August 2017, 05:45 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

It will put the airbag light on mate not the eml light. This can be sorted by fitting resistors into the the plug that would fit into the standard seats.
Old 24 August 2017, 06:37 PM
EddyCurr
Scooby Newbie

How much comfort are you willing to give up? Are you limber enough to mind maneuvering in/out over fixed side bolsters?

Something like one of these Kirkey's, only local to you, would tick many boxes. Light weight, stiff, protective ...

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/categor...eats-By-Series

I have one of their 20º Deluxe RR seats in a Solo II car. Mine doesn't appear to be offered any longer - seems Containment Seats are all the rage these days.
Old 24 August 2017, 07:55 PM
EddyCurr
Scooby Newbie

An overloooked benefit of seats like the Kirkey's and their ilk is fitment.

No matter whether you are a cheetah or a hippo; built like a child or built like a basketball player; just select a model & size to suit your body type. If necessary/desired, bespoke seats are not unreasonably more money than the catalog choices.
Old 24 August 2017, 08:21 PM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 22 Posts

Whats your budget? I'll soon be selling my pair of Carbon Prodrive Sparco bucket seats
Old 24 August 2017, 10:06 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gc8simon
Whats your budget? I'll soon be selling my pair of Carbon Prodrive Sparco bucket seats
Worth keeping an eye on these aaron. Great looking seats