Notices

Milky laquer on roof :-(

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2017, 01:11 PM
Arfer67
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Milky laquer on roof :-(

I currently have large milky patches on the roof ofmy 04 WRX. This has previously been resprayed as a result of a botched windscreen replacement years ago that resulted in corrosion. See pic attached

I have owned the car for 13 years and must confess to not being an avid polisher. Also I am a bit OCD when it comes to keepung the windscreen clear so use lots of washer fluid. The patches do seem to be in line with the washer jets.

I have tried polishes and metallic Tcut, but this did not really help. It is also rough to the touch in the milky aras and when wet the patches almost disappear.

Any tips ? I do not have either lots of time or money to fix this due to having a young family, and also the scoob needs suspension and engine work so cant spare much. Can it be fixed or does it need respraying?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2786.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	70864  
Old 20 August 2017, 07:29 PM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a machine polish might do it, or well yes you know the obvious, it may need paint.
I had my last silver Subaru roof done in Subaru black. Looked good against the silver
Old 28 August 2017, 04:51 PM
Arfer67
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I took the plunge and bought a DA polisher and some cutting compounds. It took two goes with an aggressive compound, and one fine and then some polish. Its not perfect but looks much better.

Might be able to hold off a while before before I have to get it sprayed, and now I have no excuse for not polishing the car now I have the kit :-)

Ian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2802.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	70919