Notices

Knock sensor

Old 15 August 2017, 09:55 PM
Andy6979
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock sensor

Hi all, just bought an 06 hawk which is mapped to 280 on v power. On the way back had to fill up and couldn't find any high octane so had to put the regular stuff in, drove 160 miles home taking it easy with no probs. The next day warms the car up in garage to drop oil and engine management light Come on which come up as knock sensor. Would the low Ron make this happen. Done a reset and went for a spin and not running as it was before and light still on constant. Tia
Old 17 August 2017, 11:14 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Get to a shell or Tesco and top up half a tank with the good stuff. Gently run the car to run that tank down and fill with the good stuff. reset again and hopefully will get back to normal. Years ago I travelled to Swansea from Lincolnshire planning my fuel stops, only to find the Esso garage I planned on topping up to give me enough to get from the M50 to the M4 and find a shell or Tesco to fill up. Only to find it had changed so had to put the regular in and was using the throttle like I was treading on egg shells. Got it on Shell v power and even put a bottle of Octane booster in, did a hundred miles gently prior to putting my foot down.
Hope it gets sorted for you.
Old 17 August 2017, 11:22 PM
Andy6979
Scooby Newbie

Bloody nightmare init. I've drained the tank now and filled with momentium 99 . Haven't driven it yet as doing everything I want to do to it before I get it on the road. Flaming light is still on though and can't get it off, code reader won't clear it. How do you reset it?
Old 17 August 2017, 11:25 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Not sure on a Hawk. Mine is running a standalone ECU so the engine check light is now my change light.
Old 17 August 2017, 11:32 PM
Andy6979
Scooby Newbie

Ordered a cable for laptop and hoping ecu explorer will reset it
Old 19 August 2017, 12:48 AM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

From Andy F when I was mapped on Tesco99. If low on fuel and can't get 99 top up on next best and stay off boost, if you need use boost limit rev range. The higher up the rev range you go the more the ECU "should" adjust accordingly. Again from Andy F, it takes an age for the ECU to relearn/recalibrate to new, higher RON fuel. I believe you can reset the CEL by doing 10 ignition on then off switches. In affect the ECU tells you for a fair few "start ups" that there is an issue then stops telling you. I am on a V7 Bug STI with this experience. I am decatted which V7s really don't like. I get CEL randomly and after a few days (ignition on/off) it goes away. Had codes checked and know it is due to decat. If all is running fine then I don't Panic as I know what it is, when it first happened I thought engine was going to implode. It did not. What fault codes you got? Not trying to suggest all is well and don't panic but apply a bit of logic. All ok, change of fuel, all not ok?
Old 19 August 2017, 09:21 AM
Andy6979
Scooby Newbie

When I plugged code reader in it was coming up knock sensor low voltage and ecm. Anyway drained fuel as it was running love a bag of **** to no avail, codes wouldn't clear but yesterday give up as it just wouldn't connect with the lead I bought and took it for a spin and light went out and runs like a dream again! So panic over

Search this Thread