Notices

Restrictor pill size in 95 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2017, 10:24 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Restrictor pill size in 95 WRX

Whats the standard pill size for a WRX 1995 ? Is it 2mm ?

Sort of toying with the idea changing the pill in the aim of a bit quicker spool, as its not standard anymore, prodrive 3 port solenoid, later map sensor, running higher boost etc etc, ive read Pre 96 the pill with a smaller hole reduces boost (so id like to go up a size) but can i if its 2mm already ? or just remove it ? and Post 96 the pill with a smaller hole gained boost ??

After fitting my Harvey trick up pipe to the TD05H i dont get any better spool , im hitting 1 bar sometimes around 3200 , depending on when i stamp on the loud pedal , if i stamp it down from 2k i get quite slow spool , usually hitting 1 bar around 3600, if i stamp it down at around 3k i hit 1 bar around 3200 and my target of 1.35 around 3400 onwards

was hoping to start hitting the 1 bar around 3k , am i dreaming or will a smaller pill help ?

Not really messed with pill sizes so feel free to educate me

cheers

Last edited by The Rig; 22 June 2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 23 June 2017, 01:00 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the info about restrictor pill sizing mainly relates to later 2port solenoids

simply fitting a trick up-pipe with no mapping adjustment will not help IMO
Old 23 June 2017, 02:24 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

it's all fairly simple and it’s gonna blow your mind - older cars came with a 3port boost solenoid stock, newer cars a 2port solenoid standard.

On a 3port setup, the stock pill is in the vent line, restricting the amount of pressure the solenoid can interrupt out of the system. Bigger pill = less restriction = more pressure bleeding off = higher boost for the same WGDC.

On a 2port setup, the stock pill is before the T piece. The 2port can only bleed off pressure – not interrupt it entirely like a 3port so the pill reduces the amount of pressure getting to the gate and a smaller pill means less pressure heading to the gate so the relative bleed effect from the 2port is increased.

So – if your on a 3port solenoid/interrupt system (where pressure must go through the solenoid then to the gate) a smaller pill gives less boost. If your on a 2port solenoid/bleed system (where pressure is bleed off on the way to the gate) then smaller pill gives more boost.

If your using a 3port solenoid and your mapping the ECU then you can usually do away with the pill entirely and adjust the duty in the ECU to suit.
Old 23 June 2017, 02:30 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
the info about restrictor pill sizing mainly relates to later 2port solenoids

simply fitting a trick up-pipe with no mapping adjustment will not help IMO

Cheers, Oh dont worry the Mapping is more than adjusted , to often as i get bored lol
Old 23 June 2017, 02:32 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
it's all fairly simple and it’s gonna blow your mind - older cars came with a 3port boost solenoid stock, newer cars a 2port solenoid standard.

On a 3port setup, the stock pill is in the vent line, restricting the amount of pressure the solenoid can interrupt out of the system. Bigger pill = less restriction = more pressure bleeding off = higher boost for the same WGDC.

On a 2port setup, the stock pill is before the T piece. The 2port can only bleed off pressure – not interrupt it entirely like a 3port so the pill reduces the amount of pressure getting to the gate and a smaller pill means less pressure heading to the gate so the relative bleed effect from the 2port is increased.

So – if your on a 3port solenoid/interrupt system (where pressure must go through the solenoid then to the gate) a smaller pill gives less boost. If your on a 2port solenoid/bleed system (where pressure is bleed off on the way to the gate) then smaller pill gives more boost.

If your using a 3port solenoid and your mapping the ECU then you can usually do away with the pill entirely and adjust the duty in the ECU to suit.
Cheers as always bud Explained nicely for my simple brain.

Ive removed the pill for now, not had chance to test but will do and see what the results are, as im running 100 % Duty cycles upto 3300 then dropping to 92 at full load last cell will see if it helps by removing this pill to gain some quicker spool
Old 24 June 2017, 11:35 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Well I can confirm removing the pill on a pre 96 increases boost . It gives you all of it lol . So don't remove the pill !!

It didn't improve spool so without the pill in place I'd of had to reduce WGDC down by like 30% to achieve my 1.35 targets and without the gain I'd wanted ( quicker spool ) didn't seem worth the hassle

Was worth a test ha

Last edited by The Rig; 24 June 2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 24 June 2017, 12:23 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Afaik you have to reduce the wg duty a fair bit when going from a 2 to a 3 port,I'm changing mine next week and intend or running with no pill as most seem to do this,I'll have to see how I get on.
Old 24 June 2017, 01:59 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Yeah, i can see why you would need to lower dutys a fair bit going from a 2 port to 3 port, but my car has always been a 3 port setup from standard , i was just testing if with no pill it would bring spool on a bit better, if it did i would of then altered my duty cycles to suit the more boost etc, yet spool still wasnt any better, it spools early on obviously lol , but im not hitting 1 bar until around 3200 /3400 still . Think thats the limitations of it all, ive tried most things apart from headers i guess.

cheers
Old 24 June 2017, 02:11 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Ahh I see,V3 went 2 port You do seem to have tried most things to get that spool time down,I still recon you could get it to under 3k @1 bar.....don't let it beat you