Notices

Flywheel skimming

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2017, 10:01 PM
The Grift
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel skimming

What do you do with the dowel pins when you take your flywheel for skimming? Do they take them out and put them back in? Am I expected to? Cheers.
Old 26 June 2017, 11:50 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on who you're taking it to and if you've got the tools to do it without making a mess of the plate.
When I had my clutch replaced I found that a freshly skimmed flywheel with new dowels and spigot bearing from pole position was pretty much the same price as having my old one skimmed.
Old 26 June 2017, 12:39 PM
The Grift
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
Depends on who you're taking it to and if you've got the tools to do it without making a mess of the plate.
When I had my clutch replaced I found that a freshly skimmed flywheel with new dowels and spigot bearing from pole position was pretty much the same price as having my old one skimmed.
Cheers for the comment. I've dropped really lucky, my father in law works for a company who places engineers in jobs. He dropped it off at a local firm who removed the dowels and skimmed it. I got the dowels back intact having already bought new dowels and the spigot bearing but it didn't cost me anything for the skimming. They always say it's not what you know it's who you know. :-)