engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2017, 08:30 AM
dawnaky
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap

help please i have just bought a wrx engine to go into my wrx 2003 blobeye
the problem i have is that it has avcs cam pullies i contacted the lad who sold me the engine and he said it came out of a sti but some one stuck a wrx engine in to a sti
so i have a engine with sti inlet and these avcs cam pullies and engine harness
will this engine fit straight in plug and play or will it need other works as i would rather do what it needs before it goes in the car
Old 18 June 2017, 10:39 AM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

The wrx ecu cannot control avcs, so not going to be plug and play unfortunately. As well as that the Sti inlet doesn't have Tgv's and without these connected it will show a cel error.

Plenty options to choose from in that scenario.
Use an Sti ecu and do a bIt of wire splicing on the loom.
Or swop the parts off your old engine onto the new one .... that may be time consuming but at least it would be plug and play.
Or you could leave the Sti inlet on and fit resistors in your oe tgv connectors to prevent the cel.
Old 18 June 2017, 01:44 PM
dawnaky
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by debbiesonic
The wrx ecu cannot control avcs, so not going to be plug and play unfortunately. As well as that the Sti inlet doesn't have Tgv's and without these connected it will show a cel error.

Plenty options to choose from in that scenario.
Use an Sti ecu and do a bIt of wire splicing on the loom.
Or swop the parts off your old engine onto the new one .... that may be time consuming but at least it would be plug and play.
Or you could leave the Sti inlet on and fit resistors in your oe tgv connectors to prevent the cel.
thank you it sound too complicated will i have to change the heads or just the cam pulleys or if you have a diagram to show step by step on which wires and were to get the resistor i would like to go down that route if it will add more bhp
Old 18 June 2017, 03:01 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

I've no idea if the wrx cam pulleys would fit on the Sti cams. the wrx cams definitely fit in the Sti heads, you could take that direction and just leave one of the cam sensors disconnected as the avcs heads have 2 cam sensors. As for the tgv's just remove the motor part from your old inlet and plug them back in the loom on the car. You can get the tgv disabled in the ecu if you e er get it mapped which would negate the need to leave the motors connected.

The more straight forward option imo would be fit your old heads and inlet. That would certainly prevent a lot of unforeseen problems occurring.
As long as your old heads are good of course.
Old 19 June 2017, 07:05 AM
dawnaky
Scooby Newbie

Default engine swap

thank you so much for the info i will go down the safe option
Old 19 June 2017, 11:44 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

also to say you can sell the sti heads and claw back some cash. im just curious also did you get any proof that the engine is a runner? the only reason i can think of to take out the engine from an sti and put in a wrx engine is that the sti engine has a problem? i mean why else would you?