Notices

Track car tips please!

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2017, 10:25 AM
ellodave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track car tips please!

Hi guys I'm starting a new project. I have just bought a 2003 blobeye impreza wrx with what sounds like a bottom end knock. I also have my mum's old forester s turbo which is going to be my donor car.

So my plan is to remove engine from both and fit good engine into blobeye.

I done a bit of reading last night but would like you guys to confirm that the only diffance is softer cams and smaller turbo on the forester engine?

I would also appreciate you guys tips to make a decent track car ie what's best brakes, suspension, tyres etc to use and any little tips I should be aware of.

Thanks

I will set up a project post once I start work
Old 07 May 2017, 10:31 AM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would all depend on your budget mate brakes would be ap racing, suspension would kw v3, but don't know how long a blob wrx 5 speed would last on a track car
Old 07 May 2017, 10:39 AM
ellodave
Scooby Regular

I'm looking more mid range stuff as I will probably only do a few track days a year. I appreciate you get what you pay for when it comes to performance parts. Maybe I should of asked what not to buy!

I'm guessing the gearbox are a week point from your comment then?
Old 07 May 2017, 11:49 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

As the Blob engine is only starting to knock, what about a refresh and mild upgrade to be better suited to the Track days , rather then replacing with the Forester lump, sell the Fozzy to help fund this ?
Old 07 May 2017, 12:14 PM
ellodave
Scooby Regular

Well I was going to use the blobeye heads and the forester bottom end as I thought they where the same block. I need to do the head gasket on the forester anyway as it's leaking oil.

What upgrades would you advise?

I don't think forester worth much needs fair bit of work for mot plus it's had 3 dogs in it most of it's life was going to sell what I can from it once the other cars built
Old 08 May 2017, 06:46 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you've got the engine sorted the mods I'd look into are:
Better brakes. Brembos from an sti are a huge improvement. The wrx 4 pots will fade horribly quickly in the track. You'll also need some sti wheels as the Brembos don't fit under wrx ones.
Suspension. Most original blob suspension will be shot by now. For a track car coilovers such as MeisterR and HSDs are good budget options.
A thicker rear arb and alloy drop links.
Decent tyres.
4 wheel alignment.
Then anything you can do to help keep engine and inlet temperatures down. Eg, Wrap exhaust, oil cooler. If you're taking the heads off think about a silicone inlet pipe and some header spacers, while they won't give a big performance gain, may help reduce inlet temps.
Plus a new clutch and a remap.

Last edited by Cambs_Stuart; 08 May 2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08 May 2017, 08:15 PM
ellodave
Scooby Regular

Ok thank you I will look into them parts.

Will plan for the engine work ok?
Old 09 May 2017, 09:00 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Ask eg motors gt (paul finch) how much it would cost to refresh an engine if you supply the blocks etc stripped down - you might be surprised at the difference in cost vs just replacing the head gaskets etc.

He usually seems to have eg sti 8 pistons and rods on the shelf - these would be a budget upgrade, and you could probably use the crank from the forester etc.

gearbox may be OK, mine was for a lot of track days and general hooking around (2003 car, but only 46k mind).
Old 09 May 2017, 11:28 AM
B9SLJ
Scooby Regular

Sticky Tyres and good suspension set up make biggest difference on track. Bigger brakes are also a must on a wrx
Old 09 May 2017, 11:32 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

The cheapest tyre you can find, remoulds if possible, this seems the way to have more fun, it may not be the fastest lap times, but if you go sticky tyres and big brakes you need a lot more tallent or you will end up with a big accident bill,
I know this goes against the grain, but if Fun is the key, dont fit semi or slick tyres, go cheap and have less grip but more fun.
Old 09 May 2017, 01:28 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
The cheapest tyre you can find, remoulds if possible, this seems the way to have more fun, it may not be the fastest lap times, but if you go sticky tyres and big brakes you need a lot more tallent or you will end up with a big accident bill,
I know this goes against the grain, but if Fun is the key, dont fit semi or slick tyres, go cheap and have less grip but more fun.
Sliding off every corner isn't my idea of fun! A keen driver wants sticky tyres and wants to find the best lines, get as much speed as you can through the corners etc. Sliding around like you're on a skid pan is for mugs.
Old 09 May 2017, 03:03 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

From personal experience in improvement order :
1. Brakes (AP Racing setup will fit under your WRX wheels) and harder pads
2. Suspension (Simon at Chevron Motor Centre)
3. Engine performance and reliability
4. Gearbox strengthening / upgrading
Old 09 May 2017, 03:16 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
Sliding off every corner isn't my idea of fun! A keen driver wants sticky tyres and wants to find the best lines, get as much speed as you can through the corners etc. Sliding around like you're on a skid pan is for mugs.
True, that`s why the BRZ /GT85 run those super sticky tyres. . .

Actually having less grip will improve your driving over tyres that just grip and grip, like the road tyres you will be on day in day out, but I won`t even try and explain that as I`m just a mug who enjoys a good skid pan.
Old 09 May 2017, 05:36 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Actually having less grip will improve your driving over tyres that just grip and grip, like the road tyres you will be on day in day out, but I won`t even try and explain that as I`m just a mug who enjoys a good skid pan.
How about semi slick tyres on the front and budgets on the back? Hours of fun.
Old 09 May 2017, 07:07 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

But it won't will it? Driving on track with road tyres and then driving the same car on semi slicks is like night and day. The semis are far far more rewarding. The GT86 comparison is just silly. Different type of car built to a different brief. They will be great fun on the road, getting the back end out a bit, but if you want to be fast around a track you'd be putting much better wheels and tyres on anyway.
Old 09 May 2017, 08:17 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I would highly recommend fitting a baffled sump to whatever engine you decide to go for.
Old 09 May 2017, 08:52 PM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

"But it won't will it? Driving on track with road tyres and then driving the same car on semi slicks is like night and day. The semis are far far more rewarding. The GT86 comparison is just silly. Different type of car built to a different brief. They will be great fun on the road, getting the back end out a bit, but if you want to be fast around a track you'd be putting much better wheels and tyres on anyway.

Last century, in the1970s, "l used to have a "modified." Moggy 1000, the difference between in tyres was startling,..Grippy Radials, which worked in the wet, and dry ,..or cross plys which always squealed and were crap in the wet, ..however they taught me how to "slide", " Brake, and "drive", a car on the limits, ie 45-55mph ,...in the wet,. Tyre are important,and help provide grip,...or lack of it,..
Old 09 May 2017, 10:33 PM
ellodave
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys I was planning on using/stealing one of the boys tyres from his tarmac rally Scooby once he was done with them.

Fun is definitely the main objective I will keep the car legal but it will be for mainly track use I'm just New to these engines so was unsure if the blocks where the same or not?

I have been looking at coil overs and BC keep coming up are they any Good?

With brakes I'll probably go see Godspeed as he is not far from me and my father inn law knows him
Old 10 May 2017, 08:38 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

I had a look at BC's, HSD's and meister R. For me there were too many negative BC reviews. The feedback the HSD and MeisterRs units aren't totally glowing, but for budgetcoilovers they are pretty good. From what i could gather the hsd's are better for track and the MeisterRs better for road. I've fitted MeisterRs and have been really, really happy with them.
​​
Old 10 May 2017, 08:59 AM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

on the fuel side a swirlpot or intank anti fuel surge device, ok if you keep your tank above 1/3 full but below that risk of fuel cut coming out of corners and really spoils the day.
Trev
Old 10 May 2017, 11:32 AM
B9SLJ
Scooby Regular

I got HSD on mine and on soft setting were quite bouncy on the road but set them quite stiff and they are fine. Work really well on fast a roads and track absorbing bumps without knocking your teeth out