WRX head upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2017, 05:29 PM
Matdragon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX head upgrade

Hi guys,

Looking to max out a sc36 with my 2.1 setup (going for a fast spool street car), have been looking for AVCS heads for about a year now and have bought 2 sets so far, both turned out to be cracked beyond use and have been returned. They are extremely hard to find and whenever i do they are cracked, so i'm giving up with that idea, as even if i find a set they'll probably just crack on me.

I've had a good inspection of my WRX heads, cleaned them up a bit, and they appear to be in immaculate condition, hardly any signs of ware, absolutely no cracks.

I know people say WRX heads can push up to 400bhp, but wondered if theres anything i can do which could help improve flow. I've heard of putting STI cams, springs, valves and underbucket shims in, is this a realistic possibility? Or is there anything else that can be done, such as a set of 264 cams (probably not worth the money for my setup).

Cheers! Any and all ideas / advice is appreciated.
Matt

Last edited by Matdragon; 31 March 2017 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added image of one of my WRX heads
Old 31 March 2017, 08:32 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul Finch had my wrx heads worked on as the sides weren't even and had ridges in the chambers ported out to improve flow. It's a 2.5 build with 2.0 wrx heads but achieved 466hp with 20% meth and run 507hp on nos, it would run more with more nos but that wouldn't be safe. The other stuff is too technical for me but I think I have STI valve/ springs, camshaft is wrx.
Paul is helpful so might be worth messaging him on here, Motors S GT username or FinchMotorsport website.
Trev
Old 01 April 2017, 03:08 PM
Matdragon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Trev,
​​​​​Thanks for your reply, quite impressive that power acheived on WRX heads, especially with WRX cams as I've heard they are not very aggressive. Thanks for the advice sounds like Paul Finch is a man in the know how!
Cheers,
Matt
Old 01 April 2017, 03:42 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

could look for a set of v5 or v6 sti heads