Notices

Classic 99 rocker

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2017, 09:36 AM
karloskarlotti81
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic 99 rocker

I'm gonna change my rocker gasket on drivers side. I've got a oem part but wondering do I have to use any sealant on the new gasket. 1st time doing one on a Scooby. Cheers Karl.
Old 16 February 2017, 05:45 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Karl,

Here is where a lot of people go wrong with this job. You only install a very small amount of fluid packing which is confined to 6 areas total on each side.

1. A small blob (Three bond 1215 or equivalent) of fluid packing to each of the the 4 open edges of the camshaft lobes. Where the semi-circle of the rocker cover meets the head again on the level plain face.

2. Cover the full length of both the half-moons only located at the opposite end of the cam pulleys. This needs to be done as the properties in the make-up of these half-moons (polyurethane plastic mix I think but don’t quote me) will flex at a different rate than the aluminium head during the thermal expansion process. Fluid packing will facilitate this condition & stop any possible oil leak under this condition.

You can change the half-moons as well as they are only a couple of quid, you will need 4 total 2 for each side. I just removed & cleaned off the factory fluid packing, inspected them (they were good, they had 109 k on them) applied new fluid packing & reinstalled them. They worked fine. Top tip don’t damage them when removing. Give them a little tap at one end only with a soft tool & they will sea saw right out of there with no damage caused.

If you are doing this job you are better to change everything & do both side. If a job worth doing in all that!!!

To do this you will need the following.
1 x Rocker Cover Gasket each side – 2 if doing both sides.
2 x Plug Seal Gaskets - 4 if doing both sides.
8 x Rocker Cover Bolt Washer Seals
- 16 if doing both sides. Definitely change these as a minimum as the rubber in time perishes & cracks.
1 x Oil Separator Gasket – 2 if doing both sides.

1 x tube of Three bond 1215 or equivalent.

4 x half-moons optional, remember to remove & clean old fluid packing off if using the same ones again.

You can obtain a full kit from the likes of ICP for this job. Better to buy OEM for this job.

Rocker cover torque is 5 nm or 3.6 lbs-ft – use torque wrench as they are easy over tightened & you can end up in a bit of a mess with stripped thread. Also torque bolts in correct sequence to obtain good seal like tightening down a cylinder head.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Paul
Old 16 February 2017, 08:06 PM
karloskarlotti81
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that's great Paul. Cheers for the response. Much appreciated
Old 16 February 2017, 11:14 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No probs Karl hope your job goes well.