Notices

Tight Spark Plug

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2017, 04:27 AM
scoobypmp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tight Spark Plug

I replaced my spark plugs a little while ago, three of them came out nicely (as nicely as they can be with limited access anyway!!) but when I came to remove the front drivers side plug it was really stiff.
When I removed it, it looked like this:

Name:  20170125_135525_zpsvt5tj59k.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  82.3 KB

This was the only one that had the brown crap around the seat. As far as I remember, they were all a bit stiff when I changed them first time around but none had the brown stuff! Has anyone seen this before, does anyone want to hazard a guess at what may be the cause? The car's running perfectly normal, I'm just a bit worried that next time it may be even harder to remove and possibly snap the plug!!
Old 26 January 2017, 08:54 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the brown stuff oily? The end of the plug looks fine, is there any evidence of an oil leak around any if the half moon gaskets or cover bolts on the rocker cover?

Last edited by Cambs_Stuart; 26 January 2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 26 January 2017, 09:43 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Cam cover seals. Although if leaking oil you'd think they'd come out easier Probably letting moisture in. You copper greased the new replacement ones I presume?
Old 26 January 2017, 10:40 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

You can see in the picture it has not deformed the sealing washer, it was tight in the threads when it was fitted previously, hence not having the force to seal correctly with the torque applied to get over the bad threads.

If you have fitted the new plug into what's left of the damaged threads in the head you have a very high chance when removing it next time of stripping the threads, it really needed a thread chaser at least, a tap a best before the plug was fitted.
Old 26 January 2017, 09:13 PM
scoobypmp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
Is the brown stuff oily? The end of the plug looks fine, is there any evidence of an oil leak around any if the half moon gaskets or cover bolts on the rocker cover?
The brown stuff's dry, so I'm pretty certain it's not oil. I changed the cam cover gaskets a little while ago, so it shoudn't be leaking already. These plugs were in the engine when I changed the gaskets though, so maybe something leaked out?

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
Cam cover seals. Although if leaking oil you'd think they'd come out easier Probably letting moisture in. You copper greased the new replacement ones I presume?
I did copper grease the new plugs, as I did with the last lot that I took out.

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
You can see in the picture it has not deformed the sealing washer, it was tight in the threads when it was fitted previously, hence not having the force to seal correctly with the torque applied to get over the bad threads.

If you have fitted the new plug into what's left of the damaged threads in the head you have a very high chance when removing it next time of stripping the threads, it really needed a thread chaser at least, a tap a best before the plug was fitted.
The plug went all the way in this time and wasn't as stiff to put back as it was to remove. Was a little stiffer than the other 3 plugs though. If I've buggered the thread I guess I'll find out in a couple of years when I replace them again, but I hope it's not that