Notices

Newage wrx Turbo problem noise, advice welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2017, 06:15 PM
IVIike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage wrx Turbo problem noise, advice welcome!

hi, i have a new noise on my wrx 03 (stock other than up-pipe decat). when full open throttle around 3.5 - 4k rpm the turbo starts to flutter. it sounds almost like its skipping or catching or possibly air escaping and if i push higher rpm it gets louder.

This is not BOV or "dump valve" noise, as its happening as i build boost not releasing!

no real loss of power noticed but the noise is worrying me, this is my first turbo car so not really used to them. i treat her right and never drive hard when cold.

i'm hopeful this might be common to some extent with turbos?

any ideas or advice greatly welcomed!

Mike
Old 17 January 2017, 09:15 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

do you have an aftermarket dump valve fitted or origional factory setup? the spring may be weak if its an aftermarket vent to atmosphere type. baileys valves are especially bad for this, there was one on my old wagon when i bought it and it was leaking boost on acceleration. i replaced it an it went like a rocket afterwards.
Old 17 January 2017, 09:38 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Iirc turbos do something called caveat which is the blades chopping up the air. Could be this
Old 18 January 2017, 08:46 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was the map tweaked after the up pipe was fitted?
Also, I know you said it didn't sound like a BOV noise, but the re-circulation valve can fail/leak.
Old 18 January 2017, 06:26 PM
IVIike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks all, i do have a forge BOV but it is quite new, that said if this is a common problem you might be right yabba.

it never used to make this noise cuprajake so i dont think this would be the issue on this occasion.

no map at the moment Stuart but again this is a new noise, tho i know i do need to get a map done. i guess it could be the BOV if its developed a fault but what i should have said is that its not the BOV performing as it should. hope its just the BOV leaking, i will have to get the mechanics on it and see what they say. i'll let ya'll know what the outcome is...
Old 18 January 2017, 10:29 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BOV gasket...?