Notices

Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2017, 09:48 PM
Lord.Thurston
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion

I know I'll most likely regret asking this as before I've been ridiculed by other jap owners but here goes, I've currently got a 1.6 n/a bugeye wagon it's my first car and being 20 with 1 years ncb it's practically impossible for me to get insured for a turbo, a friend kindly gave me his old 2.0 from his classic, would this new engine bolt straight upto my current gearbox and wiring loom? I know it would need a remap of some sort but it's the fitment I'm more concerned about I've had many different answers to this before and most sarcastic, useful advice wanted not unwanted sarcasm and on the subject of conversions I'd like to fabricate my own itb's for it, does anyone know where I could get the itb from? Again I've asked before and had nothing but insults I know there's a discontinued itb kit for a turbo but that's all I know, thanks in advance, I know my 1.6 isn't anything fancy like an Sti, spec c or even a wrx but it's all I can get insured on at the moment being my first car.
Old 01 January 2017, 11:19 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Is the new engine turbo or n/a?
Old 01 January 2017, 11:20 PM
Lord.Thurston
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
Is the new engine turbo or n/a?
n/a
Old 02 January 2017, 01:26 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

I don't know any of the answers. But remember ITB's will mean you need a standalone ECU most likely. So that's going to be bare money.

You will need to work out what size of ITB's you need. Jenvey would be a good starting place.

If you want a fast n/a impreza maybe see if you can fit a k20 or something in? Or do you want the 2.0 n/a boxer as it's free or more your thing?

Also you might of read them like insults but most likely and I'm sure you know this it will be a "waste" of money. I say waste as to me I would get something else for a year or 2 then get a wrx or something as it will be way way cheaper than trying to get power out of a 125bhp 2.0 but if you want to drop a few g's and have 150bhp then go for it, ultimately it's your money.
Old 02 January 2017, 02:16 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll probably have a load of hassle re-registering the car as a 2ltr and your insurance company will want to bend you over too.
Not worth the effort IMO time does fly and you'll be in a wrx soon enough
Old 02 January 2017, 05:07 AM
Lord.Thurston
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't be declaring the swap because it would be too expensive for me at the moment, all my other mods are declared though, what's jenvy? I've never heard of it and I would rather keep the boxer set up if possible and I've asked about itb's on Facebook groups and they basically called me a retard with a **** car because it's only 1.6 but thanks for your advice I appreciate it and cost isn't too much of a problem because I'd be doing most of it myself
Old 02 January 2017, 10:50 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

As mentioned standalone ecu will be required. The best solution for you is to wire in and map a microsquirt ecu yourself. All in it will cost around £400.
Steep learning curve there.
is it your only car? If so don't mess with it.
i run a self wired, self mapped microsquirt on my 2.5 turbo blob, making circa 380hp.
I wouldn't bother with throttle bodies, turbo will make better power/torque and be better on fuel.
why not turbo the 1.6? Easily take 10 psi reliably and make 50% more power and torque, most of the cheap wrx parts should bolt on. Use a small td04 turbo
Old 02 January 2017, 10:52 AM
Lord.Thurston
Scooby Regular

I would love to turbo it but I'd be afraid my internals would blow out, my friend has a fully working td04 he's selling and most of the set up for the turbo but I'd be afraid of blowing it up
Old 02 January 2017, 11:05 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lord.Thurston
I wouldn't be declaring the swap because it would be too expensive for me at the moment, all my other mods are declared though, what's jenvy? I've never heard of it and I would rather keep the boxer set up if possible and I've asked about itb's on Facebook groups and they basically called me a retard with a **** car because it's only 1.6 but thanks for your advice I appreciate it and cost isn't too much of a problem because I'd be doing most of it myself

Awesome.

its people like you who make insurance so ****ing expensive for everyone else....

top bloke Maybe this is the reason people reacted the way they did on fb?
Old 02 January 2017, 11:08 AM
Lord.Thurston
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Awesome. its people like you who make insurance so ****ing expensive for everyone else.... top bloke Maybe this is the reason people reacted the way they did on fb?
people like me? At the moment all my mods are declared, there's people out there without insurance at all and I wouldn't necessarily do the conversion straight away without another daily first
Old 02 January 2017, 11:32 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Awesome.

its people like you who make insurance so ****ing expensive for everyone else....

top bloke Maybe this is the reason people reacted the way they did on fb?
Took the words right out of my mouth
Old 02 January 2017, 11:34 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

people like me? At the moment all my mods are declared, there's people out there without insurance at all and I wouldn't necessarily do the conversion straight away without another daily first
You already said you wouldnt declare the conversion as you cannot afford to insure it....
Old 02 January 2017, 11:36 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

And with a undeclared 2ltr conversion YOU WILL be one of them
Old 02 January 2017, 12:04 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep the car as it is and save up until you can afford a genuine impreza turbo car and there is nothing wrong in driving a 1.6 car just enjoy it and get some driving experience before you get a turbo impreza.
Old 02 January 2017, 12:51 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Are you experienced enough to do an engine swap? As in yourself? Just saying as it's going to be a big job.
Old 02 January 2017, 01:43 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I drove around in a 1.1 b reg fiesta as my first car 16yrs ago. You should consider yourself lucky you have a 1.6. Save yourself the money and wait 3/4 yrs until you build up some ncb
Old 02 January 2017, 02:27 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Why don't you get traders insurance or get named on some mates insurance who has a tyre shop or garage then you can drive what you like legit

We've got 20 year olds driving lambhos, amg's evo's all sorts of 50k plus cars round here and that's how they do

If you do go ahead with the conversion always declare everything as you have in the past if you don't declare your only going to have regrets later and it'll be on your conscious when you drive it and spoil all the fun for you

Just my 20p's worth
Old 02 January 2017, 02:30 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I have to say I agree with the guys about the insurance thing. I paid out thousands to get on the road when I was 17, add in the fact I live in Belfast made it even worse. Be patient and gather up some NCB. I had to wait until I was 30 before it was viable to insure a turbo Impreza! The day before my 30th birthday it was £1200, the day of my birthday it was £600. I didn't have any NCB as I'd been driving company cars for years. Now my insurance is around £300/£400 for each vehicle I own.
Old 02 January 2017, 04:14 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

I had a 2.0l sport in my younger days and was a full turbo 2000 replica. Being a 2.0l n/a 4wd they not quick in anyway so cant see why you would want to do this conversion. Not having a pop at you in anyway as we all have to start somewhere. Just make yours look nice and save some pennys till you can go the route you want. As said the years fly and i can understand how you feel.
Old 02 January 2017, 04:30 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Sell up and buy an RS Clio, cheaper to insure and 100x more fun than an N/A Impreza of any type.
Old 02 January 2017, 05:27 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

We've all been in your position, just wait it out until you can afford to buy a turbo model.

The cost of the said conversion for what you'd gain isn't worth the hassle or expense. Plus the money you would blow would pay for either an upgrade when you've acquired enough NCB to buy a decent spec turbo.

Have you tried the advertisers insurance for quotes? Can't recall who they all are, but Keith Michaels and Sky are a few I'd try!

Rob
Old 02 January 2017, 05:45 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Sell and buy a hot hatch plenty to be had build up the ncb and off u go
Old 02 January 2017, 09:27 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe april the 1st already.
Old 03 January 2017, 12:59 PM
Lord.Thurston
Scooby Regular

I see what you're all saying regarding insurance, I do but when I start the swap I'll be buying another daily to drive until I can afford to declare it on insurance, I've decided to look for a written off wrx so that way I have the engine and running gear so it would make life easier and I'll admit on my own I'm not experienced enough to do it although I will have help from friends who are experienced in this, I was asking for future reference
Old 03 January 2017, 01:06 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Your mad! Save your money and other people's insurance!
Old 03 January 2017, 01:10 PM
Lord.Thurston
Scooby Regular

I've been told, I'm not doing anything to jeopardise anyone's insurance I wouldn't, as I said I will buy another daily when I do the conversion, a lot of people say save money but honestly I'm doing it as cheap as I can by doing the conversion myself with friends so I only have to buy the parts
Old 03 January 2017, 08:38 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What's the point? You have to transfer pretty much everything over from the write off.
Old 03 January 2017, 09:05 PM
Lord.Thurston
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
What's the point? You have to transfer pretty much everything over from the write off.
engine, running gear, brakes ecu and loom not too much
Old 04 January 2017, 04:33 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

a lot of people say save money but honestly I'm doing it as cheap as I can by doing the conversion myself with friends so I only have to buy the parts
He's saving money doing a conversion himself that I doubt he has any idea to do. Also he is saving money by buying a written off wrx, another car to drive, insurance for that other car and he already has any part he will need like an engine crane and you know anything else he will need.

Not being nasty but £10 says this won't happen. I'll give you 1 year. If not you paypal me £10. If you have swapped a 2.0 into your 1.6 and thrown on some ITB's I'll paypal you £10, you'll need it
Old 04 January 2017, 07:13 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

engine, running gear, brakes ecu and loom not too much

You have NO idea lol.

suspension, roll bars, brakes, servos, ecu, gauges, wiring looms, door locks, turbo, exhausts, bonnets and scoops etc, let alone gearbox, diffs etc

conversions will ALWAYS cost more to insure than the equivelant standard model. They will never be worth anything near a normal wrx etc, it will still always be a ****ty 1.6 with a conversion that no one will want to buy. Especially once you declare the 2.0 to the dvla and insurance etc....

I am with Db. This will never happen pipe dreams.

save up and biy a decent car, it will save you headaches