Notices

Starting Engine After 6 Months Rest

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2016, 12:14 AM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Engine After 6 Months Rest

My 2004 WRX Impreza has sat on the drive for about 6 months during which time I have not started the engine.

I just wondered if not starting a car for 6 months actually causes any issues and if so what can be done. Is there any greater risk of engine failure, having not started it for a while?

Presumably the oil drains out of the high engine parts after a few hours/days of the engine and therefore time does not affect this?

thanks
Old 22 December 2016, 01:43 AM
jap_master
Scooby Regular

Nothing will happen and no damage will be done. I just started my classic the other day after 1 year with no start.
Old 22 December 2016, 08:03 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I would have to say it's better to prime the engine/oil pump when it's been stood for so long.
Old 22 December 2016, 08:26 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
I would have to say it's better to prime the engine/oil pump when it's been stood for so long.
This, just disconnect the cam or crank sensor(crank is easy) and turn engine over for 30 seconds or so, then reconnect and start.

Old 22 December 2016, 08:43 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

As well as disconnecting crank sensor I would also remove the spark plugs before cranking when it's been stood for ages,that's just me being super cautious tho
Old 22 December 2016, 07:01 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Can you do any damage by cranking the engine with the crank sensor removed. I hate cranking any car for more than about 7 seconds.

Does the oil pump sit higher than the sump oil level and therefore it drain out of oil over time?

I did a quick search about the crank sensor and people seem to be removing it and cranking when the oil has been completely drained during an oil change. Is it the same and still best even if the oil hasn't been drained?

Last edited by Sub-Subaru; 22 December 2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 22 December 2016, 07:23 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub-Subaru
Can you do any damage by cranking the engine with the crank sensor removed. I hate cranking any car for more than about 7 seconds.

Does the oil pump sit higher than the sump oil level and therefore it drain out of oil over time?

I did a quick search about the crank sensor and people seem to be removing it and cranking when the oil has been completely drained during an oil change. Is it the same and still best even if the oil hasn't been drained?
With the sensor disconnected it wont fire, so will just circulate the oil that has drained back to the sump,
being honest Id change the oil, but I`m fussy.

Last edited by JDM_Stig; 22 December 2016 at 07:24 PM.