Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2016, 09:25 PM
swifty1981
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Power issues

Does anyone have any idea of my issues?

I have a 2001 wrx.

I rebuilt my own engine with forged rods, pistons and crank. i have a 340lph fuel pump 565cc injectors, full decat, tublers removed and turned off. tdo5 turbo.

I sent the car to remapped which was done to both of my ecu's. I have a ecutek and a open source ecu. ecutek still has MAF, open source runs without MAF

My problem is the mappers could not get my car above 277bhp on both ecus with is less than i had before the engine blow up. They said it was my turbo. They tried 1.2bar to 1.6bar and they said it made no diffence in the power output.

I have taken the turbo off, stripped it can not find anything wrong with it not even any oil leak. Mean while i fitted my TDo4 back on to see if there is any difference. But its still the same my car is slow.

On the rolling road read outsput you can see the dip then go back up again. I have taken the standard boost control off and put a manual one on, it hold sboost better. so i have a 3 port one to fit now. but the car did not get any quicker. Same thing 1.3bar or 1.6bar

i remenber years ago i had a split pipe for the boost control and i over boosted, and it almost ripped my head off lol. So why does it not do it now?

Its seams like the boost is getting to the inlet manifold fine, but not to the pistons.

Could i have a timing issue on my cambelt? but engine runs fine and the mappers said my block is good.

Any ideas? its really bugging my and knowone knows what is wrong.

thank you
Old 14 December 2016, 09:42 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check cambelt timing for starters,then a Compression Test to check internal health of rebuilt engine.
Old 14 December 2016, 09:52 PM
swifty1981
Scooby Newbie

yeah i was thinking cambelt. Would 1 tooth out on one of the pulleys make the engine run rough? because mine does run nice
Old 14 December 2016, 10:07 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Any head work done? I was loosing power and was detting due to cracks in the heads. This was picked up on a cylinder leak down test. Would be worth doing at the same time as the compression test
Old 14 December 2016, 10:14 PM
swifty1981
Scooby Newbie

I had the heads skimmed before refitting just to make sure they where nice and flat. Do you know a rough guide on what the compression should be? My bore is .5 oversize
Old 14 December 2016, 10:47 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

did you clamp the passenger side pulleys when you released the cambelt tensioner pin ? if you didn't the passenger side pulleys slip as the belt tensions, it caused a missfire on mine at 4250rpm when i first bought it cos thats how someone had fitted cambelt before
Old 14 December 2016, 11:04 PM
swifty1981
Scooby Newbie

No I didn't do that. I need to have a look. Cheers all.