fuel pump on classic impreza

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2016, 02:44 PM
awdftw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump on classic impreza

Hi guys

I have a JDM ver4 STi wagon that I fitted a deatchwerks dw200 (300lph) fuel pump. This pump is appx 12-14 months old.

Pump was great until last month it stopped priming so I couldn't start the car. I tapped and jiggle the connector and that seems to do the trick.

So just a few days ago the car wouldn't start and I don't hear the pump priming on startup. I tried to tap and jiggle the connector like last time with no luck.

I had the tow truck deliver my car to my home. I told him about my issue and he said to try and bang on the bottom of the tank. I was banging on the tank while he turned the key and the pump started to prime and the car started. Tow truck driver mentioned the motor is seizing up.

I'm not sure if the fuel pump is going? or just a loose connection? I'm getting power to the harness.
Old 29 October 2016, 02:52 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Think you've answered your own question
Old 29 October 2016, 03:08 PM
awdftw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Think you've answered your own question
Haha thanks. I think the pump is going, but I just wanted to ask maybe someone else had a problem like this.

Are there any other uprated fuel pumps for the gc8/gf8 available besides the walboro?
Old 29 October 2016, 03:31 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

RCM.
Scoobyworx.
Both good pumps.
Just double check the connecting block on top of the tank,I've had one shorting and melt the plug to the point it stopped working,if it looks ok then spray some electrical cleaner or wd40 etc into the block/pins to see if that helps.
Old 29 October 2016, 03:45 PM
awdftw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
RCM.
Scoobyworx.
Both good pumps.
Just double check the connecting block on top of the tank,I've had one shorting and melt the plug to the point it stopped working,if it looks ok then spray some electrical cleaner or wd40 etc into the block/pins to see if that helps.
Thanks I will do that. I will clean the contacts when I get home. I'm pretty sure none of the pins are shorting. I used a test light and I do get power to the harness. Is there a way I can test for ground issue?

I'm hesitant to drive this as I don't want to pay for another tow truck incase it acts up again lol.

Last edited by awdftw; 29 October 2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 29 October 2016, 06:33 PM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by awdftw
Thanks I will do that. I will clean the contacts when I get home. I'm pretty sure none of the pins are shorting. I used a test light and I do get power to the harness. Is there a way I can test for ground issue?

I'm hesitant to drive this as I don't want to pay for another tow truck incase it acts up again lol.
SCOOBYNET will give you 10% off one of our pumps also :-)
Old 29 October 2016, 06:49 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrell@Scoobyworx
If the OP's location is correct, then 10% isn't going to help him much.

Old 29 October 2016, 07:01 PM
awdftw
Scooby Regular

haha thanks. With the money I spent for the tow truck I'd could of got that.

Do you know how many volts I should get when testing the harness connectors?

Last edited by awdftw; 29 October 2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 30 October 2016, 12:43 AM
awdftw
Scooby Regular

Ive read that an immobilizer could cut the power.

Does anyone know where it would be located? I found a blackbox under the driver side vent behind the dash.
Old 30 October 2016, 05:21 AM
awdftw
Scooby Regular

Update, I had a friend come by and measure voltage and check the wires. I'm getting 11 volts from the relay, 11 volts from the harness, and 11 volts from the actual pump. We took out the pump, and did the test while it wasn't in the tank. This test was done with the key turned to ACC. The manufacture states the minimum volt to run is 6, max is 18.

The wires did not look corroded, but the connector on the harness, not the one on the pump assembly, looks burnt/melted. Any ideas on how this happened?
Old 30 October 2016, 07:28 AM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Originally Posted by mickywrx
If the OP's location is correct, then 10% isn't going to help him much.

I can ship for less than that but it's still around £45
Old 30 October 2016, 07:32 AM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

Originally Posted by awdftw
Update, I had a friend come by and measure voltage and check the wires. I'm getting 11 volts from the relay, 11 volts from the harness, and 11 volts from the actual pump. We took out the pump, and did the test while it wasn't in the tank. This test was done with the key turned to ACC. The manufacture states the minimum volt to run is 6, max is 18.

The wires did not look corroded, but the connector on the harness, not the one on the pump assembly, looks burnt/melted. Any ideas on how this happened?
It's not about Voltage with these pumps it's the current draw under load. Good pumps pull around 13 amps from memory while some not so good pumps can draw around 17amps which will cook wiring
Old 30 October 2016, 08:32 AM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Possibly dirty contacts on the fuel pump relay, not sure how the immobiliser will be wired on a Canadian car but the alarm system fitted to a UK also has a relay that cuts the fuel pump and these can suffer with carbon build up on the relay contacts as well. 11 volts sounds a little low unless your battery is low.
Old 30 October 2016, 09:21 AM
awdftw
Scooby Regular

It's not about Voltage with these pumps it's the current draw under load. Good pumps pull around 13 amps from memory while some not so good pumps can draw around 17amps which will cook wiring
Thanks Darrell, my multimeter only has max 10A test so I will have to get another meter. To test does the pump/car have to be running? Just put the meter into amp setting, red probe on +, black probe on - on the pump?

Originally Posted by Shane
Possibly dirty contacts on the fuel pump relay, not sure how the immobiliser will be wired on a Canadian car but the alarm system fitted to a UK also has a relay that cuts the fuel pump and these can suffer with carbon build up on the relay contacts as well. 11 volts sounds a little low unless your battery is low.
I will have to get some electrical contact cleaner. I thought I had some. I have a jdm my98 sti, I'll have to recheck the voltage on the battery.
Old 30 October 2016, 09:24 AM
Darrell@Scoobyworx
Authorised Trader

It's a amp clamp you need as. A multi meter won't measure current draw :-)
Old 30 October 2016, 09:30 AM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Fuel pump relay sits up under the dash on the drivers side, mine failed earlier in the year, car would try and idle and then stall as it couldn't maintain pressure, changed the pump first and then wouldn't run at all so traced back to the relay.
Old 30 October 2016, 09:48 AM
awdftw
Scooby Regular

It's a amp clamp you need as. A multi meter won't measure current draw :-)
Ahh..my friend has one maybe I can borrow it. Pretty much just put the wire into the clamp and start the car? IF the wire is too small could I attach some leads to the amp clamp and use those?

Originally Posted by Shane
Fuel pump relay sits up under the dash on the drivers side, mine failed earlier in the year, car would try and idle and then stall as it couldn't maintain pressure, changed the pump first and then wouldn't run at all so traced back to the relay.
YEah I managed to find it tonight but my friend ran out of time, has work the next day. 3am here. I'll have to try and test this tomorrow morning. My car hasn't stalled yet. I pulled the pump itself off and the connection from the pump to the pump assembly is good, no melted plastic and tight.

The pump primes now after the tow truck driver banged on the fuel tank mentioned in my original post. Just trying to figure out why it would quit, then work all of a sudden.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	download.png
Views:	0
Size:	610.1 KB
ID:	21690  

Last edited by awdftw; 30 October 2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 30 October 2016, 08:50 PM
jonesy37
Scooby Regular

how do i get the discount on pump Darrel also need a cosworth filter for 98 classic
Old 30 October 2016, 09:43 PM
jonesy37
Scooby Regular

tried that and on a fuel pump and cosworth panel filter that cost £124.65 its given me £1.75 discount ?
i'm not brilliant at maths but thats not right
Old 30 October 2016, 11:22 PM
esxboy1
Scooby Regular

Check the earth to the pump I had to put a separate earth i.e. Drill a hole locally , big screw with a short bit of wire and splice it into the plug earth on the pump as it was breaking down, did the trick for me