Notices

Blob steering knuckle to pinion; no correct position to attach it?

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2016, 09:23 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blob steering knuckle to pinion; no correct position to attach it?

Hi all, ran into a little bit of trouble last night during the swap of my STI rack to a JDM quick rack. My car had a bent wishbone on it, which means the alignment it had done last time was based around compensating for this.

I've removed and replaced the bent wishbone so all good in that department now. One thing I have found though is that steering wheel straight and wheels relatively straight, turning lock to lock doesn't see the steering wheel sit in the same sort of position on full lock right to left.

Just to clarify, say on full lock left the two spokes that run across the wheel centre are sat like this: |
On full lock right they're sat more like \
(just an example, not exactly how it is but you get the idea)

So obviously, where the wheels currently point straight isn't actually the centre of the rack range. It's off slightly.

To solve this I was wondering whether I could just detach the steering wheel and move it a couple of notches on the spindle? Then obviously take it and have everything aligned properly. Normally I would go back under and remove the steering knuckle and then move the wheel slightly and reattach it but it doesn't seem to have a defined "correct" position. The knuckle seems to slot onto the pinion whichever way you want.

So really what I am trying to find out is; is it necessary to remove and refit the knuckle with the wheel moved slightly out or should I leave the knuckle as is and just take off and reattach the steering wheel itself?

Sorry to waffle. Just want to make sure it's done right.
Old 21 October 2016, 02:19 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone else has an idea please do shout up. Need to get this sorted this evening.