Notices

fuel filler pipe+ advice, please

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2016, 09:09 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default fuel filler pipe+ advice, please

Hello All, My first post so please make allowances for my lack of 'Scooby Awareness'
I'm housing an X-reg (2000) Impreza Sport for my brother, and it's been on my drive unused for 3 years so I want to mot it and get it on the road for my daughter to use 'til my brother wants it back.
Anyway, I'm familiar with working on my mk3 Mondeo, but a complete novice about Subarus...so I've joined your forum and hoping to get some advice from you, if you please!
Firstly, I've noticed that the fuel filler pipe is very rusty and probably needs changing before it gets much worse. Now, if it was for my Mondeo, I'd go to the main dealer with my vin and get the exact right part no probs....but where do I source this part...and is it the same part for other Impreza models?...also any gotchas I need to be aware of when removing the old part.
Also, the sills have got black plastic protective strips along the bottom, I would like to remove them to try and bend the jacking seams straight again...are there any hidden clips/fixings I'm likely to break when removing them?
How on earth do you remove the top bolt on the front brake caliper frame?
(to change a disk) There's a strut clamp bolt in the way so you can't get a socket onto it...or is it a case of removing the strut clamp bolt?
Finally, I wouldn't mind a Haynes type manual to help with things like nut and bolt torques, but Mr Haynes only starts from the 2002 Impreza. would this do..is there much difference?
Thanks very much in advance for any advice!
Nick
Old 18 October 2016, 07:08 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

second hand subaru breaker for the fuel pipe , i've never done it , the trims in the sides it's normally plastic clips , but be gentle as they get fragile , the jacking points can be a rust issue , the caliper bolts a big spanner and either your hand or a hammer they normally come loose
Old 18 October 2016, 09:18 AM
tom-r33
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ICP sell filler pipe, about £70-80
Old 18 October 2016, 09:38 AM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

filler pipe is a 30 min job, easy.

Caliper bolt spray with wd overnight then it'll undo .. small extension bar will help clear the strut.
Old 28 October 2016, 11:56 AM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice...much appreciated :-)
Didn't know about ICP...ECP (Euro Car Parts), yes (they seem to have more sales events than Allied Carpets ever did) Quick Google found ICP.
Now got a Q? about fitting steel wheels in place of the nice alloys that my daughter is bound to curb....I'll ask that in the wheels section. Thanks once again.
Old 31 October 2016, 06:48 PM
tom-r33
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicam49
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice...much appreciated :-)
Didn't know about ICP...ECP (Euro Car Parts), yes (they seem to have more sales events than Allied Carpets ever did) Quick Google found ICP.
Now got a Q? about fitting steel wheels in place of the nice alloys that my daughter is bound to curb....I'll ask that in the wheels section. Thanks once again.
No worries
Rim protectors?