Vehicle shut off and wont start

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2016, 03:25 AM
phyregold
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle shut off and wont start

Here's the entire situation.

On last thursday night my wife notice the oil light was on, she stopped at walmart and bought 2 quarts of oil, and then the engine light went off.
Then last Friday she was driving the car on the interstate and she said that the car becan to sputter and shake so she slowed up. She got off at the
next exit and the car just stopped running (the car was running when it quit). We took it to the subaru delaership and their mechanic spent about 30 minutes looking over the vehicle
and they determined it was a blown engine because she was 1000 miles over an oil change and there was fresh oil into it.

I explained to them there was no clunking with the vehicle shut off and that the oil was put in the night before. To say the least I'm not impressed. They didn't even get the car to start or
crank it over more than a few times. When they crank the vehicle - there is no clunking sounds. The tech guy said the vehicle just ins't cranking enough.
The oil light is not on and check engline light if off

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Here it's exact vehcile: http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-...GF48531H800613

I might post this on a few forums to see if I can get any help.

Thanks!
Old 16 October 2016, 07:09 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

i would not have walked away with out a proper answer as what there saying makes no sense , did you put all the oil in and was it checked level wise after , 2 quarts/ litres may have been too little if the oil was that low or too much if its a faulty sender , either one could kill an engine , i don't suppose it's in warranty ? blown an engine is a very vague comment .. blown what ?
Old 16 October 2016, 02:04 PM
phyregold
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
i would not have walked away with out a proper answer as what there saying makes no sense , did you put all the oil in and was it checked level wise after , 2 quarts/ litres may have been too little if the oil was that low or too much if its a faulty sender , either one could kill an engine , i don't suppose it's in warranty ? blown an engine is a very vague comment .. blown what ?
All they gave me was "its just not cranking fast enough"
Old 16 October 2016, 02:56 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

which sounds more like a battery or starter motor issue ?
Old 16 October 2016, 03:03 PM
phyregold
Scooby Newbie

which sounds more like a battery or starter motor issue ?
Oh.They.already.made.me.buy a 160$ official subaru battery before.They troubleshooted the car.

Would either of those explain why.the car shut off while running?
Old 16 October 2016, 03:22 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

if battery or alternator has died yes , the fact you added oil and then shortly after it died is a concern but maybe unrelated , have you checked oil level since , they say if oil light comes on then some damage already done , what car is it ? turbo non turbo and was it using a lot of oil before or not checked that often ? , i'm wondering if it's oil sensor , engine , or alternator or battery related ? , on some cars a poor battery throws faults like oil pressure or what ever else as not getting enough power to it , 2 litres is a lot of oil to top up
Old 16 October 2016, 03:29 PM
phyregold
Scooby Newbie

if battery or alternator has died yes , the fact you added oil and then shortly after it died is a concern but maybe unrelated , have you checked oil level since , they say if oil light comes on then some damage already done , what car is it ? turbo non turbo and was it using a lot of oil before or not checked that often ? , i'm wondering if it's oil sensor , engine , or alternator or battery related ? , on some cars a poor battery throws faults like oil pressure or what ever else as not getting enough power to it , 2 litres is a lot of oil to top up
Sorry I ment two quarts.

It's a non turbo. What things should i check? I'm scared buying a new engine won't fix the issue
Old 16 October 2016, 04:01 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

battery first and see if that's the issue , if it turns but does not start then could be a number
of things , buy a code reader they are not expensive and see what it says , where is your oil level at the mo , that's still a lot of oil to put in was it low and ok now or has it been over filled ? what the make of car mileage etc has serviceing been kept up to date is cambelt ok , there's a lot more info you need to put on here , it's difficult to diagnose i'm concerned about oil level or issue
Old 16 October 2016, 04:05 PM
phyregold
Scooby Newbie

battery first and see if that's the issue , if it turns but does not start then could be a number
of things , buy a code reader they are not expensive and see what it says , where is your oil level at the mo , that's still a lot of oil to put in was it low and ok now or has it been over filled ? what the make of car mileage etc has serviceing been kept up to date is cambelt ok , there's a lot more info you need to put on here , it's difficult to diagnose i'm concerned about oil level or issue
I've already put a brand new battery in it.the dealership made.me.pay for one.

The dealership.says.no.codes are returned.

The oil.might.be over filled but I.don't.think.so.

It's and 01 impreza. 106k

Cambelt appears.to be.fine

Last edited by phyregold; 16 October 2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 16 October 2016, 04:09 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

have you checked the oil level , is it turning over and not starting ? if it's turning over but not firing crank or cam sensor
Old 16 October 2016, 04:11 PM
phyregold
Scooby Newbie

have you checked the oil level , is it turning over and not starting ? if it's turning over but not firing crank or cam sensor

Yes.it.turns over.but.doesn't.fire. sometimes it.attempts to start.but.doesn't fully start
Old 16 October 2016, 04:15 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

oil level ? ok if engine sounds ok and is turning that's a good start , so is it getting fuel and as above possibly a sensor , is maf still connected any difference trying to start it with or with out maf connected ? a lack of fuel no crank or cam sensor it won't start , 2 or 2.5 , quad cam ?
Old 16 October 2016, 04:18 PM
phyregold
Scooby Newbie

oil level ? ok if engine sounds ok and is turning that's a good start , so is it getting fuel and as above possibly a sensor , is maf still connected any difference trying to start it with or with out maf connected ? a lack of fuel no crank or cam sensor it won't start , 2 or 2.5 , quad cam ?
It's 2.2. I don't.know.Any of those answers but when I get back to.the.vehicle I'll.check. Where.do.I.find.the maf
Old 16 October 2016, 04:23 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

as the air goes in it's the first sensor it meets , non turbo and not too high a mileage hopfully a sensor or a battery , i think it's a case of wait and see , if it's not oil related then hopfully as above a sensor or battey, subaru should find the issue for you
Old 16 October 2016, 04:38 PM
phyregold
Scooby Newbie

as the air goes in it's the first sensor it meets , non turbo and not too high a mileage hopfully a sensor or a battery , i think it's a case of wait and see , if it's not oil related then hopfully as above a sensor or battey, subaru should find the issue for you
Again I'm not confident in.the.job they've done. All the.did.was tell.me.It's.not.cranking fast enough and the oil.was.clean.
Old 16 October 2016, 04:49 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

so they appear to have checked the oil , so hopfully that's ok , a poor battery is enough to cause all the not starting issues plus if alternator is not working battery won't charge , slow cranking would be a battery , as above a lack of electricity would effect a number of car systems , i take it you dropped it off at subaru , i don't know the time where you are is it worth a phone call to see what's happening ?
Old 16 October 2016, 05:04 PM
phyregold
Scooby Newbie

so they appear to have checked the oil , so hopfully that's ok , a poor battery is enough to cause all the not starting issues plus if alternator is not working battery won't charge , slow cranking would be a battery , as above a lack of electricity would effect a number of car systems , i take it you dropped it off at subaru , i don't know the time where you are is it worth a phone call to see what's happening ?

I'm.in.Delaware. I just sent.you.my.number in a private.message. def call.whenever you can
Old 16 October 2016, 05:59 PM
Neeko1988
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phyregold
I'm.in.Delaware. I just sent.you.my.number in a private.message. def call.whenever you can
I think he meant for you to call Subaru and check what is happening with it?
Old 16 October 2016, 06:30 PM
phyregold
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Neeko1988
I think he meant for you to call Subaru and check what is happening with it?
Possibly, but again. I am so hesistant of the work they performed that I turned to forums. If the extent of a master technician is to say you need a battery, then your oil is clean and then the engine isn't cranking fast enough would you be confident in the work?
Old 16 October 2016, 07:47 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

i think it's a case of calling the dealer and see what they say if it's just a battery it's a cheap fix
Old 16 October 2016, 08:14 PM
phyregold
Scooby Newbie

i think it's a case of calling the dealer and see what they say if it's just a battery it's a cheap fix

The battery has already been replaced. The batter is a brand new battery its about a day old and it still doesn't start. I've iterated that point a few times now, I'm not sure of that confusion about the battery.
Old 17 October 2016, 07:17 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

hi is the engine turning over better , has the dealer told you any thing yet ?
Old 17 October 2016, 07:32 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

hi is the engine turning over better , has the dealer told you any thing yet ?
from reading the thread I'd say the car had a new battery when it was at the dealers, not since,

OP : is there no mechanics local to you that can have a look that you or a friend trusts?
Old 17 October 2016, 07:49 AM
Neeko1988
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phyregold
The battery has already been replaced. The batter is a brand new battery its about a day old and it still doesn't start. I've iterated that point a few times now, I'm not sure of that confusion about the battery.
All we're saying is the dealer has said it needs a new engine. is that where is was left or are they still diagnosing the actual fault? needing a new engine is very vague.

Otherwise I would try another machanic as like previously stated it could be many things causing your problems and could be a simple fix