Notices

Bigger top mount intercoolers. Remap needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2016, 06:37 PM
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bigger top mount intercoolers. Remap needed?

Got a std 99 Impreza running a prodrive ecu setup. The tmic has seen better days so going to get a bigger one, don't want to go front mount so just a bigger top mount one. Will I need remap? I'm thinking probably not but any input appreciated

Last edited by SunilWRX; 11 October 2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11 October 2016, 08:23 PM
PedroFT
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course not... You'll be fine!
Old 12 October 2016, 09:42 AM
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate. Got a process west tmic on the way now
Old 12 October 2016, 09:50 AM
PedroFT
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Upgrade the "y pipe", that's where the gains are. The standard plastic, variable thickness is a piece of cr*p!
Either get a silicone or a aluminum one. My setup on my MY99 is 01 WRX intercooler with aluminum Y pipe, I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 12 October 2016, 10:20 AM
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular

I've already got an Sti y pipe on my std intercooler to go with my prodrive ecu setup.

The process west intercooler comes with a silicone y pipe that looks better flowing than Sti y pipe so I will use that and hopefully get a bit of a gain.
Old 12 October 2016, 01:38 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

how much did the process west cost you?? im guess mega money?

a newage WRX intercooler for about £30 is more than capable on a classic running prodrive ecu setup
Old 12 October 2016, 01:50 PM
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
how much did the process west cost you?? im guess mega money?

a newage WRX intercooler for about £30 is more than capable on a classic running prodrive ecu setup
Got one second hand for under £300.

Was thinking of going new age but they take some messing around to fit and it's hard to find one in mint condition.

The process west is a straight fit, comes with a matching air/scoop duct and adds a bit of bling to the engine bay.

Last edited by SunilWRX; 12 October 2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12 October 2016, 02:46 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

that's not too bad then being second hand and contains the duct also.
Old 12 October 2016, 03:36 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U ran an sti tmic on my bug wrx with out a remap for about two years with mo issues and was running spot on on rollers. Id say it would get the best gains with a map or tweak. Im sure its only fmic that may cause an issue with out a tweak. What intercooler you going for? I hear newage wrx items work well on a classic with some minor fabrication
Old 12 October 2016, 04:59 PM
CharlesTuna
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SunilWRX
Got one second hand for under £300.

Was thinking of going new age but they take some messing around to fit and it's hard to find one in mint condition.

The process west is a straight fit, comes with a matching air/scoop duct and adds a bit of bling to the engine bay.
Process West TMIC is very similar to Grimmspeed TMIC, which I have, connected to an SC46 on a 2.1 stroker with supporting mods. Remap last week managed to get 442hp and 390ft/lb . . . Getting 1bar @ 3600 and 1.8bar @ 4100. . .not too shabby for a TMIC!
Old 31 October 2016, 03:04 PM
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular

being running the process west tmic for a couple of weeks now and it's definitely released a bit more power. Car feels smoother overall and more free reving , biggest improvement is off boost. Probably the better y pipe design giving the improvent rather than the lower temps. Really happy with it.
Old 03 November 2016, 08:31 AM
CharlesTuna
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SunilWRX
being running the process west tmic for a couple of weeks now and it's definitely released a bit more power. Car feels smoother overall and more free reving , biggest improvement is off boost. Probably the better y pipe design giving the improvent rather than the lower temps. Really happy with it.
Glad to see you're getting some positive results from fitting the PW TMIC, keep us updated if there are any power mods
Old 03 November 2016, 12:13 PM
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular

Had a bit if an issue this morning. It was pretty cold and when coming on boost the power cuts and then comes back. Done the same higher in the rev range as well. Didn't want to push it after that so just took easy.

Must be overboosting or can't fuel enough or something? Any ideas what Is happening and how I can solve it?Might have to switch back to the std cooler as I don't want to pop the engine.
Old 03 November 2016, 12:42 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Looks like map needs addressing, which tbh i'm not that surprised by.

When ever making a change like that you should always get it checked out on a dyno rather than just assuming. Just saying it's not a big change so will be fine is really bad advice.
Old 03 November 2016, 02:15 PM
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular

Does overboost register a fault code?

I just did a check on my lunch break and I'm getting 24 back which seems iscv related. Two long pauses and four short. It could be 14 if the first pause doesn't count...

The car did idle funny the other day but I turned the car off and on and its been fine since. Maybe the fault code I'm getting is related to that rather than the issue I had this morn....

Any other ideas on what I can check before I book it into to have the fueling checked.
Old 03 November 2016, 02:23 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

nope, but can blow up the engine so keep it off boost till its looked at.

Get it looked at pronto

Last edited by On-the-bog; 03 November 2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03 November 2016, 02:30 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

As above,it's not just fine to change parts which alter the flow or temps etc without at least a map check.
Bigger tmic will still lower charge temps and the ECU can only compensate to a certain degree.
Cold weather brings higher baro so yes your boost will likely overshoot the set maximum boost and then fuel cut.
Old 03 November 2016, 06:23 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PedroFT
Of course not... You'll be fine!
This kind of response always has me worried. No thought given to individual circumstance, and complete immunity from consequence.
Old 03 November 2016, 07:24 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
This kind of response always has me worried. No thought given to individual circumstance, and complete immunity from consequence.

Not to mention clueless
Old 03 November 2016, 07:56 PM
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular

Anyone got any recommendations of where I can take it to be looked at. I'm based in Windsor.

Going to keep it off boost until I can give it a proper check over on Saturday. If I can't spot anything I will put the standard cooler back on and book it in to be checked. I can fit the pw cooler in about 20 mins so I can do it when I get there.

If it is over boosting is there anyway I can stop it without a remap? I was never after loads of power just a bit of poke for b roads hence why I went the prodrive ecu route.
Old 03 November 2016, 08:04 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A crude way to stop it over boosting if you cannot alter the Map on it currently would be to put 1/2 turn of slack on the actuator Arm rod .
Old 03 November 2016, 08:16 PM
Shaun-p1
Scooby Newbie

100% needs mapping I blew my vf28 by booting it with new top mount on way to mappers
Old 04 November 2016, 01:44 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

recheck all your pipe work, boost pipes from solenoid to turbo etc incase youve upset them, knocked one off

changing a top mount is no big deal and shouldnt require a remap especially on a classic.

i ran a MY99 classic on PPP ecu with Newage WRX intercooler and a Sport cat without issue for over 4yrs.
Old 04 November 2016, 01:48 PM
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular

recheck all your pipe work, boost pipes from solenoid to turbo etc incase youve upset them, knocked one off

changing a top mount is no big deal and shouldnt require a remap especially on a classic.

i ran a MY99 classic on PPP ecu with Newage WRX intercooler and a Sport cat without issue for over 4yrs.
I reset the ecu last night and tightened all the boost hoses. Ran fine this morning but it wasn't as cold today.

Just ordered up an obd tool so I can get live data from the ecu and log it. So if it happens again I will have a better idea on what's going wrong.
Old 04 November 2016, 01:58 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Process west top mount flows way more than even a new age STI, let alone a wrx one.
Old 04 November 2016, 03:08 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by On-the-bog
Process west top mount flows way more than even a new age STI, let alone a wrx one.
yes fair enough but he doesnt need a remap. it can be simply checked over and there are ways and means of controlling boost build up without the remap something as simple as a different pill will correct it
Old 04 November 2016, 03:14 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

yes fair enough but he doesnt need a remap. it can be simply checked over and there are ways and means of controlling boost build up without the remap something as simple as a different pill will correct it
If boost is altered, it may well need fueling and timing adjusting.
Old 04 November 2016, 03:20 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

No point doing it half assed, get a remap and make the most of it

Otherwise just replace like for like and leave as it is
Old 04 November 2016, 03:21 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by On-the-bog
If boost is altered, it may well need fueling and timing adjusting.
The boost isnt altered though, its still targeting the same boost so in this case wouldnt need fueling or timing adjusted hence no need for a remap.

similar to when people put decats on classics they overboost, and all that is done is pill hole enlarged slightly to make boost build easier and hence your not £500 out of pocket for a remap on a td04 turbo
Old 04 November 2016, 03:25 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
No point doing it half assed, get a remap and make the most of it

Otherwise just replace like for like and leave as it is
depends how much the car is worth, why spend 500 on a remap on what could be a 2k car. farcical

plenty can be done on classics even on std ecu they run ridiculously rich and is well known for years they can take extra boost without issue on it.

yep so spend 500 if you want, or use your common sense and see what can & cant be done without the "ohh youve changed something REMAP REMAP REMAP approach to everything"

Quick Reply: Bigger top mount intercoolers. Remap needed?