Teething problems with GB270

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2016, 07:20 PM
DHB07
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teething problems with GB270

Hi all.

Long time browser of the forums, but first time poster!

After a month or two of looking and hunting I've just bought myself a GB270 wagon. It's got 80k on the clock, 4 owners previous and a full Scooby service history prior to the last service.

There's a couple of issues with it that I've picked up on after a few days general use - nothing major (I hope) and figured you guys would be able to help. I can, if required, split this in to separate questions for the specific boards but the latter question is a bit vague....

First up, brakes.

The pads have not long been changed, and the car's been sat on a driveway for the last 2 months since then. I noticed the other day, after a really gentle run home (touching the brakes maybe two or three times) that I could hear the brakes cooling and they were warm/hot to touch (not sizzling though). All 4 were like this. it happening after each run, so I guess they're rubbing quite a bit.

So, the solution? Simply push the pads back in to the callipers, or could it be seized/sticking callipers?

The second question is possibly related and it's something we picked up on when test driving. On right handers, mainly only on roundabouts, when you load the car up (tighter angle or higher speed) there's a rhythmic metal-on-metal grinding noise.

It could be wheel bearing, but that was done in April after advisory on MOT, so it's possible but unlikely - and given the brake issue I'm inclined to think it's brake related. It also doesn't growl or vibrate like a beating would.

Any ideas anyone? Common issues?

Last question: there's a bit of a 'clunk' that's only obvious at low speed. It's deep and sounds hollow, but not loud, and coming from the rear. You can trigger it by bouncing on the boot lip. A quick look underneath hasn't helped locate it. Shock bushing or similar? Anything in particular that stands out?

Big thanks in advance for you help!

Ben

Last edited by DHB07; 13 August 2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12 August 2016, 06:28 AM
Munk
Scooby Regular

the brake noise could be a one of your back plates, they get rust build up behind them and slowly over time push handbrake shoes out towards inside of brake disc, then on hard cornering they they come into contact with each other vibrate slightly, but this can sound quit a harsh noise,and sound like wheel bearing, as for the hollow knock maybe rear suspension strut sticking as this was a common feature on later cars, there is a modifiaction some do for these, probebrly easier just to replace them though.
Old 12 August 2016, 11:27 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know which brakes the gb270 have, but the standard subaru 4 pots do seize and bind. The knock from the back is likely to be a suspension strut as it is a common problem, but could be arb bushes or drip links.
Old 12 August 2016, 11:31 AM
DHB07
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Munk
the brake noise could be a one of your back plates, they get rust build up behind them and slowly over time push handbrake shoes out towards inside of brake disc, then on hard cornering they they come into contact with each other vibrate slightly, but this can sound quit a harsh noise,and sound like wheel bearing, as for the hollow knock maybe rear suspension strut sticking as this was a common feature on later cars, there is a modifiaction some do for these, probebrly easier just to replace them though.
Thanks Munk. Regards the brake - will there be any obvious marking on the disc if this is the case? Where should I be looking - inside or outside of the disc?
Old 12 August 2016, 11:32 AM
DHB07
Scooby Newbie

Stuart, I've had a lie under the car (can't get properly underneath it) and nothing seems loose with a shake. Can you tell if it's loose just by a gentle shake or do you really have to give it a proper go?
Old 13 August 2016, 10:20 PM
DHB07
Scooby Newbie

So, grinding noise on cornering has been fixed. For others and for future reference, the problem was exactly as discussed here: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...awk-wagon.html

(I actually took an almost identical photo to the one in this link ^, with the rubbing evident in exactly the same place)

So: wheel off, calliper off, disc off. At the bottom side of the drum, the backing plate (not disc dust shield) has move inward slightly, just by 1-2mm. This was then grinins on the disc. Simply took and hammer and screwdriver to the area for a couple of knocks. Problem solved.

Clunks still not sorted... but progress!

Last edited by DHB07; 13 August 2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 25 August 2016, 11:48 AM
sunsh
Scooby Newbie

Hi there, I hope you're enjoying your GB270. I've had mine for 6 years and I love it - Wagon No.96

I've got the same clunking that you describe, mainly nearside rear but driverside rear now and again. Most pronounced when there's more weight in the car, particularly someone sitting in the back. It's been going on for years. I'd be keen to hear what the problem is when you've found it, 3 Subaru dealers have failed to identify the issue over the years albeit with probably a half-hearted look - they all offered to replace the rear shocks anyway at great expense.

For what it's worth my GB270 is my third Impreza wagon and they have all been tough as old boots. Only issues I have had with my GB270 are failure of both front brake callipers - 12 months apart which was painful - and replacement of CV boots. Aircon and headlamp auto levelling currently need attention. All common issues as far as I can gather.

Thanks
Old 25 August 2016, 12:04 PM
sunsh
Scooby Newbie

BTW if you want to treat your new toy to the style it deserves, get some GB270 floor mats made up by autostyle.co.uk, the standard WRX mats that came with mine went straight in the bin! Needs a clean....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3758.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	21344  
Old 09 September 2016, 04:01 PM
DHB07
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by sunsh
BTW if you want to treat your new toy to the style it deserves, get some GB270 floor mats made up by autostyle.co.uk, the standard WRX mats that came with mine went straight in the bin! Needs a clean....
Hi Sunsh

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I haven't actually had time to dig in to the clunking, unfortunately. I did, however, have a really annoying rattle/knocking coming from the boot that I could not for the life of me pinpoint.

My mate, with next to no mechanical sympathy SLAMMED the boot twice yesterday... and the rattle/knocking has gone. A brilliant fix!

Funny regards the mats! In my mind, the GB270 mats were the originals, so I was a bit dis-heartened when I saw the standard WRX mats before buying. Good to know they're standard too, but would love some of the GB270 ones. They look the part so much more!