Notices

Not the usual overheated thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2016, 02:18 PM
Jarrod Mardell
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the usual overheated thread.

Hi all,

Sorry for this being one of my first posts, but I've been lurking for a while!

I have a Bugeye WRX STI.

In the last two weeks I have driven my car 350 miles non-stop from Newcastle back to south London, I've driven 200 miles to work and back daily and 150 miles yesterday.

When I left Newcastle I checked my oil and water, perfect.

When I got back from Newcastle I checked my oil and water the next day, perfect.

Drove to work and back for a week, not an issue. Car was faultless. Didn't check the oil or water in this time.

Yesterday I took the car for a good long drive, did about 150 miles mostly just pottering around below 3500RPM with very few full throttle/revs.

About 5 miles from home I heard the auxiliary belt squeal. Odd. I didn't stop to check why, as I had JUST pushed the AC on and assumed it was this. I glanced at the temperature gauge and this was between 1/4 and half.

Cruising along the motorway at 65MPH 2 miles from home I heard it squeak again. I didn't stop to check. The temp gauge was in the same place as always; slightly below half.

The temperature gauge drifted slightly high, towards the middle of the gauge.

As I pulled off the motorway less than a mile from home the squeal turned into a scream, and I pulled over immediately. At this point the temp gauge was at 3/4 of its full reading.

I opened the bonnet, lots of steam and a moderate amount of coolant all over the place. Being less than a mile from home I drove it home and parked it straight on the drive.

I left the car to cool for an hour.

At this point I removed the dipstick expecting to see it white. It was slightly below low. But the oil looked fine.

I topped it up, and it took 500ML to take it to full.

I removed the top radiator hose, held it above the expansion tank and with the cap off the tank I slowly filled until water came from the top of the radiator.

I replaced the top hose, ran the car up and massaged the top and bottom hose with the cap off the expansion tank until with each squeeze of the bottom hose the water level bulged, and then returned without expelling any bubbles.

Roasting hot air coming out of the air vents it say for twenty minutes at idle with a rock steady temp gauge and hot air coming from the vents.

Job done I thought, it's just had a tantrum because it's been driven for 5 hours solid in 25* heat.

Except this morning I went to drive it to work, and it was up to temperature within half a mile with cold air coming out of the vents and it boiled over by the time I'd turned it round and driven half a mile home.

My diagnosis - Water pump impeller has fallen off.

Thoughts?

Thank you for anybody who has taken the time to read this.

Last edited by Jarrod Mardell; 09 May 2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10 May 2016, 08:52 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Possibly, or water pump has failed.

Also the cold air might have been because you airlocked it filling it like that.

Read my post on foolproof filling here, third one in:https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-question.html
Old 10 May 2016, 08:58 AM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the top rad hose for a tiny split, could be squirting water on the belt when under pressure hence loosing coolant and over heating. Happened to me once, the split was tiny and took me ages to find it.
Old 10 May 2016, 09:15 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gazney101
Check the top rad hose for a tiny split, could be squirting water on the belt when under pressure hence loosing coolant and over heating. Happened to me once, the split was tiny and took me ages to find it.
This,and check the rad ends, the O/S has a small pipe that comes off the rad which does split, it would also explain the belt noise if water had been squirted on the belt from time to time.

Old 10 May 2016, 09:47 AM
Jarrod Mardell
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good guesses! Thank you.

So I got the pressure tester out...

Someone had fitted an alloy radiator, zip tied the top hose back...

Top radiator hose had been hitting the fan.

And had buzzed right the way though.

Which explains why I had the coolant system working perfectly two nights ago just after I'd bled it then over night it had drawn air into the system.

What is wrong with people, why would someone zip tie a poorly fitting hose out of the way to stop it being cut by the fan?!

Fingers crossed it's a nice easy fix and no damage has been done driving it back with an air lock.

It's only been driven two miles maximum at about 50mph with no hot air coming out the vents, and the temperature gauge never went above 3/4.

Last edited by Jarrod Mardell; 10 May 2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10 May 2016, 09:53 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

should be fine, at least it`s a nice easy fix.
Old 10 May 2016, 04:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Just fill it properly* now and look back on this with relief.

* and that DOESN'T mean top it up!
Old 10 May 2016, 04:54 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

They put the rad Hose wrong way round so instead of putting it on the right way round they stick a tie clip on I had that on a couple of scoobs I've bought in the past good spotting BTW