Speedo not working 1998 version 4 Wrx Sti

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2016, 09:09 PM
Ver4STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo not working 1998 version 4 Wrx Sti

hi,

firstly i have read lot of the old threads with regards to this problem.

everything works fine on the cluster.. temp gauge/rev counter etc. it is just the speedo that doesn't work.

So that car has an A'pexi Power Fc fitted so it isn't doing the limp home mode i've read some go into.

the car is a 1998 Version 4 JDM import Wrx Sti.

upon inspection the garage said the gear box speed sensor had its wires corroded and not connected fully so a brand new subaru replacement was fitted.

they told me this worked fine on the dyno then tested down the road it didn't work... so it was put back up on the dyno and worked again, then tested on the road and it worked fine.

i then drove the car home and it didn't work..

??? what else should i try.. it does have a speed converter fitted i believe from when it was imported. should this be my next option to try ?

does anyone else have any experience of this.. it seems everyone else who has fitted the gearbox sensor has had success.

thanks.
Old 27 April 2016, 08:43 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It's easy enough to see the speed sensor with the car on a ramp. Trace wires from it all the way to the speedo, look for loose connections, corroded connections, chafing etc etc.

If all is fine, look for loose/dry-soldered connections at the converter.
Old 27 April 2016, 10:20 AM
Ver4STI
Scooby Regular

Ok great, thanks.

would the converter be inside/behind the speedo cluster ? or is it something that is wired in any where along the wiring.

i don't have a ramp sadly but will go back to the garage soon and ask about it.
Old 27 April 2016, 10:37 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Got a mate with this exact same problem on his 199 Type r v5
Old 28 April 2016, 09:15 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The converter is usually behind the instrument cluster, but not attached to it. Except by wires of course

Instruments out is ten minutes tops. Back in is five, once you've done it. Use a magnetised screwdriver so as not to lose the second lot of screws inside the dash The first lot, under the top of the binnacle, need a shorty.
Old 28 April 2016, 12:33 PM
Ver4STI
Scooby Regular

thanks again alcazar

haven't had a chance to get behind the cluster yet. but i have found something else...

so driving out of my garage this morning i noticed the speedo working, i then pulled my seatbelt across me to plug it in and BOOM it doesn't work..

as soon as the little red seatbelt light on the dash goes out the speedo stops.

so cruising along at 30mph, once it was safe (as safe as it can be) to do so i removed my selt belt and let it recoil all the way up to the B pillar and Hey presto the speedo works.

i've found that the seatbelt light doesn't go out when you plug the seat belt into the clip its once it has been pulled out maybe 30 cm that the lgit goes out on the dashboard.

so basically if i don't have a seat belt on the speedo works absolutely fine.. spot on also as i've been using my Sat Nav for speed.

obvisouly something has been wired in strangely or is shorting behind the speedo..

may have it out later and see whats going on, sadly electrics are not my strong point though so i'll only be able to look for something obvious.

as i expected there is nothing that comes up in searches for speedo issues relating to seat belts haha.
Old 01 June 2016, 03:39 PM
Ver4STI
Scooby Regular

having found that this fault is definately linked to the seatbelt light on the dashboard i am guessing this is due to when the seatbelt light goes out it shorts the circuit and the speedo doesn't work..

i am going to take the car to an eleectrical speciailaist as electrics are not something i am great with