Notices

Different oil modines, which one do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2016, 12:23 AM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Different oil modines, which one do I need?

I have a newly built newage JDM STI 2.1 stroker going in my V5 STI Type R and I need to buy a new oil modine. I'm just not sure about the difference between the models. I have read that the newage modine is better than the classic one but there is also a twin scroll modine. I will most likely use the OEM twin scroll exhaust manifold (have one already) so does that mean that I have to buy the twinscroll modine or does the regular newage modine also fit?

http://importcarparts.co.uk/parts-in...ne&searchPart=

http://importcarparts.co.uk/parts-in...ne&searchPart=

Thanks
Old 26 April 2016, 11:17 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Bump:
Did you find out the answer?
Old 27 April 2016, 12:13 AM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

No but surely someone must know.
Old 27 April 2016, 07:02 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The ICP5028 is the one for a V5, as you will have the correct metal water pipe to connect to.
Old 27 April 2016, 07:56 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
The ICP5028 is the one for a V5, as you will have the correct metal water pipe to connect to.
Old 27 April 2016, 12:53 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

But if I buy this kit then the twin scroll modine should fit? http://importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=9861

Why do the twin scroll cars have a different one, is it to give more clearance to the manifold? And is it worth upgrading?

Last edited by Turbovin; 27 April 2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 28 April 2016, 05:55 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

I've checked mine(Classic with twin scroll) and it runs standard modine and oem manifold,it is very close and that's with no heatshield on as its been removed,I recon there wouldn't be enough room with the heat shied on tbh,my wrapped manifold actually touches the crossover pipe.

Edit: would also be interested to know if that kit would give more clearance with a TS modine fitted?

Last edited by ossett2k2; 28 April 2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 29 April 2016, 12:45 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Thanks for taking your time to check your car. I plan to use the OEM heatshield as it looks more original which is good for our sometimes picky "MOT" in Sweden.

I think I will go with the TS modine and the required water pipe, the added cost isn't that much.
Old 29 April 2016, 12:55 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbovin
Thanks for taking your time to check your car. I plan to use the OEM heatshield as it looks more original which is good for our sometimes picky "MOT" in Sweden.

I think I will go with the TS modine and the required water pipe, the added cost isn't that much.
No probs
Would you update this thread when you have it all fitted up,I would be interested to know how much clearance you get with the twin scroll modine.
I might change mine as I don't like how close the water pipe is to the manifold.
Cheers
Rich
Old 29 June 2016, 02:06 AM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
No probs
Would you update this thread when you have it all fitted up,I would be interested to know how much clearance you get with the twin scroll modine.
I might change mine as I don't like how close the water pipe is to the manifold.
Cheers
Rich
Better late than never I guess

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2001.45.17.jpg

Last edited by Turbovin; 29 June 2016 at 03:04 AM.
Old 29 June 2016, 07:09 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No probs
Cheers
Rich

Oil warmer is all you have fitted now then....

Id remove the modine completely.

I don't use one on my car and usdm cars don't have one fitted at all
Old 29 June 2016, 02:41 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbovin
Thanks

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Oil warmer is all you have fitted now then....

Id remove the modine completely.

I don't use one on my car and usdm cars don't have one fitted at all
When I put the engine back together I managed to get the cooler pipe a good half inch away from the headers,they're also well wrapped.
Will probably keep the modine for now,maybe put a little heat wrap on the cooler pipe(although I'm not sure this is needed tbh) .
Old 29 June 2016, 04:06 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

If you're not running a aftermarket oil cooler then you need the modine IMO.
Old 29 June 2016, 04:28 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
If you're not running a aftermarket oil cooler then you need the modine IMO.
You really don't though. Usdm cars were never fitted with a modine at all.
Old 29 June 2016, 05:47 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

You really don't though. Usdm cars were never fitted with a modine at all.
Usdms are a 2.5 car for a start (gc8s) so I don't know a lot about how they are set up to warm/cool oil stock.
The usdm 08+ wrx don't have one either but the STI 'does'
A lot in America will actually diy fit one too (so that tells you something already)
Just because you don't have one or need one etc, I don't think it's right you would suggest for everyone else.
All set ups are different, you want to warm the oil quick as possible so you can boost safely and keep to a reasonable temp when hot (if too hot then fit a cooler dependant on usage).
Your car is not even a daily is it? And don't you just do drag runs? Any trackdays?
Old 29 June 2016, 05:56 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify what a modine will do with and without one
w/o stock oil cooler, coolant heats up quickly and oil lags. At hot temps oil easily gets well above the coolant temp.
w/ stock oil cooler, coolant heats up slower and oil heats up quicker. At hot temps oil runs a bit cooler, closer to coolant temp. There is slightly more headroom for breif hard running oil temps.
You choose.

I was going to run without one when I was doing my build as their a bloody expensive part, but decided to keep it balanced as I knew I wouldn't be driving it slow so wanted oil cooled when too hot.

Still deciding on a proper oil cooler yet, just taking notes of my oil temp to see if nessesary for me.
Old 29 June 2016, 05:58 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Usdms are a 2.5 car for a start (gc8s) so I don't know a lot about how they are set up to warm/cool oil stock.
The usdm 08+ wrx don't have one either but the STI 'does'
A lot in America will actually diy fit one too (so that tells you something already)
Just because you don't have one or need one etc, I don't think it's right you would suggest for everyone else.
All set ups are different, you want to warm the oil quick as possible so you can boost safely and keep to a reasonable temp when hot (if too hot then fit a cooler dependant on usage).
Your car is not even a daily is it? And don't you just do drag runs? Any trackdays?
The point is if my car runs comfortably without one, then any car should manage it..... my car is far higher strung than most on here and I have actually seen net benefits of removing it. Temperature is more stable, it warms and cools quicker and maintains oil temp while allowing coolant temp to be kept reasonably low.

Putting it right over a manifold will negate any use it had anyway, infact all it will do is increase coolant temps.

Infact I've never found "It tells you something because other people do it" to be a reliable way of doing anything. Because the majority are sheep and do things with no rhyme or reason, just because other people do it.

I wouldn't bother with the "warmer" as it is called in the states, as advised by a couple of very well respected and far more knowledgable blokes than most people on here. Who build and tune Subarus for a living. Edit - backed up with proof and logs as I questioned the need for one when doing alot of work on my car. If i can find the pdf on ym old phone I'll post it

If i haven't had an issue with not running one on my car it's hardly needed. And my car is fully road legal and used for tracks, drags, but road blasts and even for general day to day use at 500hp on the low boost map. I've never struggled with temps, but what would I know, a 280hp car may need one if it doesn't have the correct supporting mods...

Last edited by JGlanzaV; 29 June 2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 29 June 2016, 06:44 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

But you have an aftermarket oil cooler right?
Old 29 June 2016, 07:08 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

But you have an aftermarket oil cooler right?
Yes with a 93 degree stat. So the fact I struggled to reach 90 most days.

It's irrelevant anyway as it's not just my observations, i removed it off the back of advice from 2 very well respected people who have tested it.

An aftermarket cooler is always better than the oil warmer and I would always rather use one... however neither is essential for a low tuned car.
Old 29 June 2016, 07:10 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

My Type R is a 100% street car and I never had any oil temp issues before. The fact that it helps to get the oil up to temp faster is a good thing here in Sweden. I don't drive the car during the winter but even in the fall it can be cold enough. The oil temps have been perfectly fine for my use so that's why I chose to go on with a new modine. It's also why I chose not to buy the Killerb oil pan (bought their pickup and baffle) as some people have reported that they had some problems getting the oil up to temp on highways.
Old 29 June 2016, 07:28 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Yes with a 93 degree stat. So the fact I struggled to reach 90 most days.

It's irrelevant anyway as it's not just my observations, i removed it off the back of advice from 2 very well respected people who have tested it.

An aftermarket cooler is always better than the oil warmer and I would always rather use one... however neither is essential for a low tuned car.
Ah well that clears that up, you run some sort of cooler then as guessed.
It's not uncommon to remove modine when running proper cooler to get better controlled temps, this I wasn't disputing.

It is relevant as if you read my first quote which you posted from, you may have read what I actually said, you forgot the word 'unless running a aftermarket cooler'.

Now sidetracking it by saying it's not relevant

You/we was quoting ossett, and all I said unless he's got a aftermarket oil cooler then he needs a modine at least 'in my opinion' I said.

Osset I belive is not on no big hp ATM, I belive he's got a temp engine in there, but you are basically telling everyone not to bother running one as usdm don't have em etc.

Take your oil cooler off completely then? As that's basically what your telling everyone on here to not run either.

Yet you say a 280hp 'may need' one?

Clearly read my posts first instead of jumping on your clever **** horse all the time.

im not replying to you anymore as clearly you seem to get all too brainy and try prove your right. I don't have time for this.
Old 29 June 2016, 07:48 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Ah well that clears that up, you run some sort of cooler then as guessed.
It's not uncommon to remove modine when running proper cooler to get better controlled temps, this I wasn't disputing.

It is relevant as if you read my first quote which you posted from, you may have read what I actually said, you forgot the word 'unless running a aftermarket cooler'.

Now sidetracking it by saying it's not relevant

You/we was quoting ossett, and all I said unless he's got a aftermarket oil cooler then he needs a modine at least 'in my opinion' I said.

Osset I belive is not on no big hp ATM, I belive he's got a temp engine in there, but you are basically telling everyone not to bother running one as usdm don't have em etc.

Take your oil cooler off completely then? As that's basically what your telling everyone on here to not run either.

Yet you say a 280hp 'may need' one?

Clearly read my posts first instead of jumping on your clever **** horse all the time.

im not replying to you anymore as clearly you seem to get all too brainy and try prove your right. I don't have time for this.
Or rather than follow me around second guessing me and trying to pick holes in everything I post try engaging your brain...

Usdm do not run a modine or cooler. And have no need for one. And alot of the cars run in 30+ degrees. What I was saying is not relevant is what my car does (remember you were the one trying to belittle me and point to out that my car isn't used as a daily etc) and that the temperature even without a modine doesn't reach the temperature to need a cooler unless going mad on track.

Maybe sarcasm is missed on you. 280bhp "may need one" was tounge in cheek. "But other people do it so it's obviously right" as you implied.

You seem to make it personal every time and it's quite sad. I have provided information and because it doesn't tie up with what you like or think you would rather slate me. It's quite pathetic.
Old 29 June 2016, 08:22 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

As usdm are n/a then maybe this is why the modine is not needed?
Turbocharged cars maybe do require a modine/oil warmer/oil cooler lol?
Old 29 June 2016, 08:23 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

As usdm are n/a then maybe this is why the modine is not needed?
Turbocharged cars maybe do require a modine/oil warmer/oil cooler lol?
Usdms wrx sti aren't na? 😊
Old 29 June 2016, 08:34 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Usdms wrx sti aren't na? 😊
Lower octane fuel?
Higher outside temps?

Why would Subaru bother with a modine on jdm/UK/EU ?
Old 29 June 2016, 08:34 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Last time, I wasnt even speaking to you, (it was you quoted my post).
I'm not following you belittling you, otherwise I'd have a full time job with the amount of stuff you post on actually.
I have the right to post anywhere as much as you do,

I never belittled you saying how you use your car, it was a question followed by a ? As I wasn't sure as all I've seen you post is drag times etc so it was a genuine question.

So again, you suggested that folk would be OK to run no coolers at all??

Usdm mostly are NA too, only a few have turbos stock, I believe only the pre 02 wrx have turbos and bug wrx's/sti iirc all rest are 1.8, 2.2, 2.5,3.0 etc the 2.5rs is the most common of the lot (Which ones have no coolers then exactly?)

Look I clearly think your a ***** with how you reply tbh and have no time for it, you're too smart for me and get beaten with experience it seems.

Now if you would of agreed saying one or the other cooler is what is needed then I'd of fully agreed with you, but you didn't.

Running with no cooler whatsoever is absolutely ridiculous!. Awaits for you to remove all coolers......

Your right I'm sad, arguing with you.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 29 June 2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 29 June 2016, 09:02 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Last time, I wasnt even speaking to you, (it was you quoted my post).
I'm not following you belittling you, otherwise I'd have a full time job with the amount of stuff you post on actually.
I have the right to post anywhere as much as you do,

I never belittled you saying how you use your car, it was a question followed by a ? As I wasn't sure as all I've seen you post is drag times etc so it was a genuine question.

So again, you suggested that folk would be OK to run no coolers at all??

Usdm mostly are NA too, only a few have turbos stock, I believe only the pre 02 wrx have turbos and bug wrx's/sti iirc all rest are 1.8, 2.2, 2.5,3.0 etc the 2.5rs is the most common of the lot (Which ones have no coolers then exactly?)

Look I clearly think your a ***** with how you reply tbh and have no time for it, you're too smart for me and get beaten with experience it seems.

Now if you would of agreed saying one or the other cooler is what is needed then I'd of fully agreed with you, but you didn't.

Running with no cooler whatsoever is absolutely ridiculous!. Awaits for you to remove all coolers......

Your right I'm sad, arguing with you.
Yes let's throw personal insults. How very mature of you....

What a tosser
Old 29 June 2016, 09:16 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The 2.5 engine does run hotter than the 2 litre engine, hence I can see why US cars would not run a modine. As it would allow for more stable temps as once the coolant gets hot it drives up the oil temps too, this is also what I found on mine before the oil cooler was fitted.
Old 29 June 2016, 09:23 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Yes let's throw personal insults. How very mature of you....

What a tosser
I'm just being honest, not an insult, just telling you what I think of you after your replys.
Still waiting for you to tell me which usdms cars have no modine fitted?

In fact I'll let you know, afaik 'all' newer turbos have a modine and NA don't.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 29 June 2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 29 June 2016, 10:53 PM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol

Quick Reply: Different oil modines, which one do I need?