Notices

I know mixing different engine oils is a no no but..

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2016, 08:21 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default I know mixing different engine oils is a no no but..

I'm planning on doing an oil change soon,currently the car has fuchs titan race pro s 10w40 in there,I'm going to but putting Millers CFS 5w40.
I usually warm the car up then drain,remove filter and let it drip out for about an hour then fill the oil filter,refill engine,crank the car a few times with crank sensor off ect.
Now I've heard it's a bad thing to use engine flush,is this true?
With there still being some of the old oil in the engine will this be/cause any problems as I'm moving to a different oil?
Is there any other cleaning product which is safe to use to get the remaining oil out?

Cheers
Rich
Old 25 January 2016, 08:34 PM
rb5 stu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
I'm planning on doing an oil change soon,currently the car has fuchs titan race pro s 10w40 in there,I'm going to but putting Millers CFS 5w40.
I usually warm the car up then drain,remove filter and let it drip out for about an hour then fill the oil filter,refill engine,crank the car a few times with crank sensor off ect.
Now I've heard it's a bad thing to use engine flush,is this true?
With there still being some of the old oil in the engine will this be/cause any problems as I'm moving to a different oil?
Is there any other cleaning product which is safe to use to get the remaining oil out?

Cheers
Rich
Theres no need for an engine flush if you change your oil often and with good oil. Also if you drain the oil what ever oil is left in wont make any difference.
Old 25 January 2016, 08:41 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5 stu
Theres no need for an engine flush if you change your oil often and with good oil. Also if you drain the oil what ever oil is left in wont make any difference.
Thanks stu,yes I like to do an oil change every 3-4k so should be all ok,was just a bit worried as its a different oil brand I will be using this time.
Old 25 January 2016, 11:08 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

I think your worrying too much. just change it. It will be fine. No harm in building pressure first (I do) but draining for an hour is a bit ott. As above the amount left mixing wont matter. I'm still using asda very best 10w40 and £15 for 5 litres! :-)
Old 25 January 2016, 11:30 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
I think your worrying too much. just change it. It will be fine. No harm in building pressure first (I do) but draining for an hour is a bit ott. As above the amount left mixing wont matter. I'm still using asda very best 10w40 and £15 for 5 litres! :-)
Cool,think I'm just a bit too paranoid haha
Think I'll give the asda stuff a miss tho.
Old 25 January 2016, 11:52 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

yeah I understand. I read all the oil change engine failure threads. going for my third track day on the cheapo oils. IMO change often is better than change yearly with expensive stuff. I change after each track day.
Old 26 January 2016, 06:45 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I want to flush an engine I just do a couple of oil changes in fairly rapid succession, 1st time cheap oil and run it for a couple of hundred miles under light load, then stick the good stuff in, which then tends to stay golden for longer.
Old 26 January 2016, 08:55 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Mixing oils is absolutely fine, the only oils that don't mix are odd ones, like castor based and biodegradable ones. The only real issue is dilution of quality, but with the Millers and Fuchs, there is no difference in quality.

Oil flushes can be too harsh and can often ruin the new oil unless every bit has been drained out. Ditchmyster is doing the right thing.

dj219957, when you say the change is better with the cheap stuff, do you mean the oil appears cleaner? If so, don't be misled by that, while it can mean a clean engine, it can also mean the cheap oil doesn't have sufficient detergents to clean the engine effectively and hold the much in suspension.

Cheers

Tim