Notices

Bug eye battery

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2016, 02:15 PM
garnetpilchard
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug eye battery

Have a have an old subaru impreza bugeye which is used as an occasional second car. It covers maybe 200 miles a year. Because of this it can sit for two weeks at a time. When I come to you it, the battery is dead. This seems like a common problem on here. I just wanted to know, would unhooking battery for those two weeks damage the car in anyway? I just can't figure a way to keep it charged otherwise.
Cheers
Old 08 January 2016, 04:17 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have access to power close by, i leave mine plugged into a ctek charger all winter.
If not it wont harm leaving batt off but then have no alarm.
Old 08 January 2016, 04:38 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Hi I have mine off the terminals with a quick 10mm ratchet spanner, font forget to unplug the camshaft position sensor then crank over till oil light goes off reconnect then ignition crank as this will save you any damage to the engine after you go back to it lets say 2/3 weeks I used this method on my last scuby for over 4years no probs to battery but your stereo will lose its setting which is a pain for some people
If I had a garage I would defo be getting a trickle charger tho and regardless after 2weeks or longer crank over first unplugged cam sensor
Old 08 January 2016, 04:42 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by **jay**
Do you have access to power close by, i leave mine plugged into a ctek charger all winter.
If not it wont harm leaving batt off but then have no alarm.
I have used a CTEK charger for years now and the battery is good 8-years after being replaced. When the car gets some regular use the battery still charges and holds it's charge
Old 10 January 2016, 05:47 PM
garnetpilchard
Scooby Newbie

Hey Guys
Cheers for getting back to me, I can plug it in but it involves leaving an extension lead under the bonnet.
Regarding the cam position sensor, what is that and what should I do to it before I unplug the battery?
Thanks
Old 10 January 2016, 05:53 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Camshaft position sensor

Hi there you take this off wen you go back to the car it'll crank the engine over enduring oil coverage before you start it after a couple of weeks stood still cold as you know wen they start up cold after 2/3weejs the revs go up all the way to bout 1500 revs till it warms up few seconds and that's wen you'll need oil everywhere first prior to ignition this method has worked for me in my ownership of over 30 scoobys hope it makes sense
Old 10 January 2016, 07:15 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garnetpilchard
Hey Guys
Cheers for getting back to me, I can plug it in but it involves leaving an extension lead under the bonnet.
Thanks
I extended the 12V line on my CTEK with some twin cable so I run the 12V as an extension rather than the 240v part of the system. It also means that the CTEK is locked away in the garage when the car is charging.

Originally Posted by garnetpilchard
Hey Guys
Regarding the cam position sensor, what is that and what should I do to it before I unplug the battery?
Thanks
Generally you only do this after an oil change - it'll throw a fault code which you cannot clear without an OBD data monitor on a bugeye. If you can reach into the starter motor you can connect the battery to the positive terminal of the starter and that will crank the motor - just make sure the ignition is OFF - and this will achieve the same effect.
Old 18 January 2016, 10:10 PM
garnetpilchard
Scooby Newbie

Hey Guys
Sorry forgot to say cheers, I honestly don't understand the cam position sensor, I'm no good with cars and barely remember which door to get into, so I'll leave that and order the CTEK extension.
Go steady!
Old 18 January 2016, 10:10 PM
garnetpilchard
Scooby Newbie

Hey Guys
Sorry forgot to say cheers, I honestly don't understand the cam position sensor, I'm no good with cars and barely remember which door to get into, so I'll leave that and order the CTEK extension.
Go steady!
Old 19 January 2016, 12:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The reference to the cam position sensor is easily explained.

When the car sits for long periods without the engine ever starting, the oil drains completely into the sump. If you keep starting it like that, the thinking is that you could do damage due to oil starvation. Disconnecting cam sensor, or crank sensor allows the engine to crank, but NOT start, so it only turns slowly, oil circulates and every surface is coated.

After a few seconds cranking it on the starter, stop, reconnect crank or cam sensor, and start it properly.

Supposed to save the engine in case of oil starvation.
Old 19 January 2016, 01:23 PM
garnetpilchard
Scooby Newbie

alcazar! A fantastic concise explanation. It now all makes sense.
Cheers guys thanks for this!
Old 19 January 2016, 04:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Happy to be of service.