Notices

Wide band AFR readings

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2015, 08:29 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wide band AFR readings

Guys had a afr gauge fitted at Scoobyspares. It's the innovate LC-1, I'd like to know from you guys who have it fitted what sort of readings you get? What's good and bad in terms of he readings?

On the drive home it was sitting at 22.4 until I pressed on the throttle the reading would drop them jump back up to 22.4... When on boost it dropped as low as 7.5 but very quickly jumped back up to the 22.4..

Sorry for the novice terms used lol but does this sound about right?

All thoughts and knowledge welcome

Martin

This is what I bought

Name:  79128C12-B114-413A-B60E-E46E3737BEC4.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  273.9 KB
Name:  13258E2C-D032-4AAE-B63C-C3ACEF990C4A.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  163.7 KB
Old 25 November 2015, 08:41 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

7 sounds mega rich mine is about 11 on boost and 14.7 cruising i have closed loop on a Wideband though. 22 is mega lean, is that with the throttle closed
Old 25 November 2015, 09:06 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **jay**
7 sounds mega rich mine is about 11 on boost and 14.7 cruising i have closed loop on a Wideband though. 22 is mega lean, is that with the throttle closed
Yes jay, I got around 7.5 when on full throttle, doing 70mph on the way home it sits at 22.4 constant..

Now it's litterally been installed, no calibration done and not set up off the lap top does this make a difference?

Martin

Ps if you see my pic it's sat at 22.4 that's on idle

Last edited by M2RTXhawkeye; 25 November 2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 25 November 2015, 09:13 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Where do you have your lambda sensor for it?
Readings dont seem right mate. 22 on idle could be correct though ive never paid much attention to my toucan display on idle.
Whats it like on part throttle does it stay steady or jumping about?
7 is mega ritch on boost.

Last edited by **jay**; 25 November 2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 25 November 2015, 09:21 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the only time you should see a 20 is when the throttlebody is shut, as in engine braking,
otherwise normal driving should be around 15. 7's on boost as Jay say's is very very rich and a quick check of a spark plug would show wet if it were overfueling to that extent. I can't see a car running at those extremes so guess it would be something to do with the reading.
Trev
Old 25 November 2015, 09:22 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where is the sensor placed? 22.4 should only be seen when warm and going along with the throttle is closed. crusing about you should be seeing around 14.7 and on boost 11 isnt to bad but much lower like 7.5 is very rich and bore wash territory. the sensor must be calibrated in free air.
Old 25 November 2015, 09:48 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Guys the sensor is at the top of the downpipe, I'd say around 3/4" away from the turbo.

When at a constant speed at 79mph it was 22.4, when I braked or pressed on the reading jumped around but again settled back at 22.4... I hit 1bar of boost then backed off saw the readings in the 7's then came straight back up to the 22.4 hope this makes sense... I'm wondering wether it needs plugging in to change the settings?

Martin
Old 25 November 2015, 10:05 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Has it been connected to the standard narrowband lambda at the top of the downpipe? Did it come with a wideband lambda sensor.
Old 25 November 2015, 10:09 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Has it been connected to the standard narrowband lambda at the top of the downpipe? Did it come with a wideband lambda sensor.
New boss was welded in to the downpipe and the connector connected in that mate

Martin
Old 25 November 2015, 10:14 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Ah cool yeh thats correct place then, not sure if they need calibrated as never used one before, my afr readings are through my syvecs and toucan. Id speak with who ever mapped your car mate and see if they can take a look, either that its mapped realy rich id not be wanting to be running close to 7 as like said before it will not be too good over fuelling so much.
Probably gauge not reading correctly though.
Old 25 November 2015, 10:18 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Ah cool yeh thats correct place then, not sure if they need calibrated as never used one before, my afr readings are through my syvecs and toucan. Id speak with who ever mapped your car mate and see if they can take a look, either that its mapped realy rich id not be wanting to be running close to 7 as like said before it will not be too good over fuelling so much.
Probably gauge not reading correctly though.
Cheers jay I've messaged Andrew Carr, have the afr graph n all seems ok there must be the gauge needing calibrating... I'll post back when he gets in touch. Reading the booklet it does mention plugging it in to set some settings I'll take a proper read in the morning

Martin
Old 26 November 2015, 09:42 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

it needs calibrating in free air. pull the sensor from the down pipe. unplug it from the loom. turn on ignition for a few seconds then off. plug the sensor back into the loom and turn on ignition again.. the gauge should read CAL for a few seconds. turn ignition off. put the sensor back into the downpipe, without unplugging if u can.. then ur calibrated. seems to me that the sensor has calibrated in the downpipe. so it thinks 14.7 is free air... hence the 22.4 when crusing.
Old 26 November 2015, 11:09 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyricht
it needs calibrating in free air. pull the sensor from the down pipe. unplug it from the loom. turn on ignition for a few seconds then off. plug the sensor back into the loom and turn on ignition again.. the gauge should read CAL for a few seconds. turn ignition off. put the sensor back into the downpipe, without unplugging if u can.. then ur calibrated. seems to me that the sensor has calibrated in the downpipe. so it thinks 14.7 is free air... hence the 22.4 when crusing.
Ah that would make sense... So is that all that is required to set it up I was under the impression it had to be plugged in to a lap top etc so booked to go see Andrew Carr tomorrow he said he'll do it for me? Could save me a trip and money if that's all I need to do

Martin
Old 26 November 2015, 11:17 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Like said,is easy to do,instruction book here if you don't have it.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...C-1_Manual.pdf
Old 27 November 2015, 12:01 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Like said,is easy to do,instruction book here if you don't have it.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...C-1_Manual.pdf
That's was very useful mate thankyou wish I'd of known this before installation... I'll whip the tmic off tomorrow and do this will post back with the results

Martin
Old 27 November 2015, 02:40 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are the default high and low reading Martin, on cruise and idle you'll be looking for 14.7's give or take, On full boost you should be seeing high 10's to low 11's depending on the map, have they wired the calibration button into the gauge or not?....also the LED as that gives you the flashes for codes and tells you if it's callibrated.

As scoobyricht says, The sensor should have been callibrated in free air prior to being put in the down pipe

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 27 November 2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 27 November 2015, 06:31 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja
Those are the default high and low reading Martin, on cruise and idle you'll be looking for 14.7's give or take, On full boost you should be seeing high 10's to low 11's depending on the map, have they wired the calibration button into the gauge or not?....also the LED as that gives you the flashes for codes and tells you if it's callibrated.

As scoobyricht says, The sensor should have been callibrated in free air prior to being put in the down pipe
It wasn't calibrated gaz before fitting, which button mate? There's the remote looking thing with a green light wired under the steering column?

I was going to see Andrew Carr but he also gave me the same instruction as scoobyricht so when it stops raining I'm going to have a look at doing it myself.

Martin
Old 27 November 2015, 06:40 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

The remote looking thing with led is the lc-1. I have the lc-2 which came with a button,think that is a menu button for when connected to laptop? The lc-2 comes with serial port for use with logworks,not sure if the lc-1 does?
You should be good to go and start getting the correct AFR readings once you calibrate
Old 27 November 2015, 06:55 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
The remote looking thing with led is the lc-1. I have the lc-2 which came with a button,think that is a menu button for when connected to laptop? The lc-2 comes with serial port for use with logworks,not sure if the lc-1 does?
You should be good to go and start getting the correct AFR readings once you calibrate
Cheers mate, sounds about right. Weather permitting I'll get it done Sunday morning... Should the reading on the gauge stop jumping around once it's been calibrated? I know the figures will change but it's constant movement at the moment

Martin
Old 27 November 2015, 07:15 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Yes you will get a constant reading on WOT,it will read high numbers(lean) when coming off throttle,and on cruise you will see it bouncing around a bit as the ecu will try and target 14.7
The better the tune then the closer to stoic(14.7) so won't bounce as much
I'm connecting up my wideband this weekend but replacing my narrowband with it so will tune my afr's as close as I can,if that makes sense lol,had a few beers haha so not the best explanation in the world
Old 28 November 2015, 03:21 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

This is how I did mine it all came in the box, allows you to reset and recalibrate it and the LED is useful for fault codes.

Originally Posted by M2RTXhawkeye
It wasn't calibrated gaz before fitting, which button mate? There's the remote looking thing with a green light wired under the steering column?

I was going to see Andrew Carr but he also gave me the same instruction as scoobyricht so when it stops raining I'm going to have a look at doing it myself.

Martin
Old 28 November 2015, 03:43 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Is that the LC-2 @ The Pink Ninja? I haven't fit my red button as I thought it was just a menu button,also don't think I got an LED ?
Do you still remove the sensor to free air to calibrate?
Old 28 November 2015, 04:56 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

No button or led in my box gaz... Still not had chance to calibrate mine I'll do it in the morn if the rain stays away

Martin
Old 28 November 2015, 04:56 PM
Neil XR
Scooby Regular

yes

sensor has to be in free air to calibrate
Old 28 November 2015, 08:59 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Mine is the LC-1

Not sure then guys as mine came with them, lol, The instructions posted above were the same as mine as shows the wiring for both ?
Old 28 November 2015, 09:36 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Ahh cheers,looks like my LC-2 has to be calibrated the same but my little red button is a menu button to set warning and for recall feature which is optional.

Last edited by ossett2k2; 28 November 2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 30 November 2015, 07:29 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Calibrated

On cruise I'm getting 15.4, on boost 12.3... Does this seem about right? Only took the car out for 10 mins to see if all was good.

Martin
Old 30 November 2015, 07:43 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Nice one Martian
Sound about right as numbers go,you might find it goes high-mid 11's on high load and giving it some stick,all depends on the map. Those numbers look to be standard map I would guess.
Old 01 December 2015, 03:08 PM
Jaysz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks leaner than should be would compare it to wideband that's right
Old 01 December 2015, 03:14 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaysz
Looks leaner than should be would compare it to wideband that's right
Spoke to my mapper he said the figures are about right