Notices

New turbo

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2015, 10:49 AM
bloops1981
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New turbo

Hi all I have a 1999 classic uk, unfortunately I have sheared a blade on the cold side of turbo engine is all still fine, I think I have been lucky ! however the turbo is a VF34 would a VF35 be a straight swap with no further mods ? I understand I will need a remap, or is there another model turbo I could go for its just a grand is a bit heavy for a vf34 at the moment.

Any help is appreciated team.

chris
Old 26 July 2015, 11:25 AM
Lee_
Scooby Regular

You have lots of options really, its just how much do you want to spend.

You could have the turbo fixed/reconditioned. Or you could replace with another TD04 (I have one I keep meaning to sell!).

I'm not an expert on this subject but I can tell you what I have as part of the turbo upgrade.

It's a RB5 with the following mods (fully forged before upgrade);
- VF37 (Twin scroll)
- Matching twin scroll manifold
- New sump
- 3 Port Boost Solenoid (recommended for mapping)
- Miltek exhaust
- 550cc Injectors + flow testing
- RCM Fuel pump
- Alcatek ECU (with anti-lag+launch control) + Mapping by the one and only Bob Rawle! (Bob is brilliant at mapping these cars if you aren't aware)
- I chose to go down the Alcatek route as it allowed me to go MAF'less (I'd had problems with the MAF a few times before)
- K+N panel filter

When I had the same quandary I was a bit naive about what a decent turbo upgrade would entail. The work was carried out by a fantastic engine/car builder in Bristol. He explained my options at every step and his work is amazing. I intend to keep taking my car back to his garage when it needs any large jobs done.

Also remember if you go beyond 330bhp your clutch/gearbox may decide they have had enough! - I'm just looking at a 6 speed upgrade at the moment.

The car is absolutely brilliant with the upgrades! I love it, it really feels like a weapon now and is a lot more fun/involving to drive. At around 4k when its fully on boost, it feels very frantic/urgent and is a whole lot of fun!

Hope this helps!
Old 26 July 2015, 04:20 PM
bloops1981
Scooby Newbie

hi many thanks for the reply, however I don't want to upgrade I just want to repair her then sell and move to a newer Scooby say a blob eye, at the moment im considering just selling as "non runner in need of a new turbo" because she has only done 78k and is pretty good condition.
Old 26 July 2015, 04:23 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Did something foreign manage to get in to the turbo to do the damage? Also, did you find the missing blade? If you've been lucky you could just buy a cheap TD04 and put it on, that's what it probably had in the first place. Have you looking on eBay for new compressor wheels for your own turbo?

Here's one: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-GB

Last edited by piehole1983; 26 July 2015 at 04:24 PM.